Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: STM Builds: A D'deridex  (Read 350 times)

Offline SimonTheModeler

• Ensign
    • My blog
STM Builds: A D'deridex
« on: December 25, 2018, 01:56:30 pm »
Hello,

I thought I would start my New Years resolutions early.  I have a load of Sci-Fi Spaceship Kits from both Star Trek and Star Wars, so I have decided to turn those unbuilt kits into display models I can be proud of.  One thing I want to say upfront, if your looking for screen accurate models, I will disappoint you as I want to do what I feel looks good to me.  Though I do recommend you continue reading my posts as I just may do something of interest.

I also created a blog which will contain more pictures and details, I will just be posting highlights here.

So the first model I decided to build out of my batch is the Romulan Warbird D'deridex.

Around the web and on this site, you can find other D'deridex builds.  To be honest that is what inspired me to start with mine.

One of the first mods I want to takle is the Shuttle Bay.  The references I find say its the bump at the back of the ship, but it was kind of an after though.  But it is there as you can see here.

When I look at the spacing of the windows on the side of the ship, I get the feeling the current shuttlebay is not even one deck in height.   So I drilled it out and shimmed some plastic in.  I think it looks better and is about 2 decks now, I am imagining the Shuttle Bay Door now would roll up like a Garage Door.  So when its fully rolled up, you get the big landing area.  Like this..

My last crazy thought for the day, can I make a shuttle?  I figure doing a ruff shape with a bit of plastic and stick it in there may look good.

Well, its Christamas and I have other obligations today, off I go.

Until later fellow Modelers.

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
Re: STM Builds: A D'deridex
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 05:22:12 pm »
Good idea for a mod for this. I'll be following this for sure.

Offline SimonTheModeler

• Ensign
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 02:44:19 pm »
Hope you had a good Christmas.

I thought I would give a small update on the D'deridex. 

The shuttlebay is done mostly, you cannot do much with the scale being so small.  I want to prime that area and see how it looks.

I have started working on another mod, the Impulse engine area.

Here is an image of the proposed impulse engine slot.

and here it is cut out.

I am planning on putting a shaped Plexiglass piece into the slot for lights.  But I do have a question for people.  What color should Romulan Impulse Engines be?  I've seen yellow on some non-cannon ships.  What are your thoughts?

In the mean time, I am making a template so I can start drilling the windows out on this section.

Until later fellow Modelers.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 08:14:03 am »
Looks like a great model to build.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 08:34:56 pm »
Ha!  Love this ship and looking forward to the build.  I do not envy you the painstaking hours of drilling holes (assuming you are) for the windows at scale.  Buy small bits...lots of them!   ;D

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 02:52:17 am »
There's a good interview with Probert on this design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg2RXVBBMrs

Offline SimonTheModeler

• Ensign
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 11:04:48 am »

Hey starsiegeplayer;

Thank you for the video link, it was very informative.  One point I found intersting was how the cargo area was different between what was designed and what was actually built.

So that begs a question,  should I build the bird as its made for the cargo area, or should I build it as it was originally designed? 

I like how Probert call it, 'A multi-generation battleship with assault craft'.

Thanks again

Offline SimonTheModeler

• Ensign
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 03:46:35 pm »

Just a minor update, I drilled the first of many, many holes on this model.  The backend is drilled out.  Obviously I made mistakes, but in the end I can live with the result.

I also cannot find my Plexiglass so I need to go buy some tomorrow, then I can complete this section and move on to the next.

Until later fellow modelers

Enterprise © Bloc