Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why did my paint bleed under my mask?  (Read 435 times)

Offline digitani

• Ensign
Why did my paint bleed under my mask?
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:20:24 pm »
Hey everybody!  Good to be posting again.  I have another newbie question that I'm sure you can help with.

When I was painting the gunship grey parts of the nacelles on my 1/1000 TOS Enterprise, I masked off the area with blue masking tape and then painted it with Model Master acrylic paint using a brush.  I gave it a couple of coats, letting it dry in between.  when I removed my mask, I found that some of the paint had bled underneath my mask!  That was a bummer.  How can I avoid that?  What did I do wrong?

Thanks for being so helpful!

Attached is a picture.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
Re: Why did my paint bleed under my mask?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 11:46:58 pm »
My gut reaction when looking at the picture is that the tape is crinkled, given how evenly space the bleed marks appear.
Did you make sure the tape was stretched tight as you put it down?

In my experience, Model Master Acrylic can shrink a little as it dries. It could be that the drying paint may
have pulled on the tape and caused it to crinkle after the first coat, letting the second bleed underneath a little.

Paint bleed happens sometimes, but in general, make sure the tape edge is pressed down as much as possible with no creases along the edge, especially just before you paint.
Paint with strokes that go away from the edge of the tape and not toward it and don't put it on too thick with each coat. Paper tape won't give you a super sharp edge like vinyl.
Also be sure your tape is clean, you don't let the side of the roll collect dust and lint because that can affect how well it hugs an edge too.

My two (or three) cents,
Spencer
My fledgling blog and YouTube page:
https://spencersscifimodels.blogspot.com/
http://youtube.com/c/SpencerWolfe

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."
- Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 08:07:01 am »
As mentioned above you need to press down the mask edge.  I suggest you rub a wood toothpick, skewer, or popsicle stick on the paint side of the mask prior to painting.  I have also found that Tamiya mask tape seems to work better that standard paint mask that you find at the hardware store.

Offline digitani

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 06:38:27 pm »
Spencer and Tshark, thanks so much for all the advice!

Do modelers usually use vinyl tape?  Mine was just regular paper.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 10:11:41 pm »
You can use vinyl if you want a super sharp line. Plus vinyl can bend around curves a bit better, but it can also be a lot
more expensive. I don't personally use it that much. A lot of aftermarket masking sets you can buy for sci-fi kits use vinyl masks.

I mainly use Tamiya tape and washi tape these days, but still use blue tape for covering larger areas since it's cheaper.
My fledgling blog and YouTube page:
https://spencersscifimodels.blogspot.com/
http://youtube.com/c/SpencerWolfe

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."
- Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 12:01:46 pm »
digitani, if I could add one piece of advice, I "burnish" my tape edges down. In otherwords, I run my finger, or better yet a smooth tool, along the tape edges to make sure it is down and the paint stay where I want it.

Just a thought.

I also use painters tape, the blue tape used when painting walls in a house, Tamiya paper tape and Tamiya vinyl tape - it depends on the area to be painted; I'm weird like that.

Hope this helps.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40:31 am »
digitani, if I could add one piece of advice, I "burnish" my tape edges down. In otherwords, I run my finger, or better yet a smooth tool, along the tape edges to make sure it is down and the paint stay where I want it.

Just a thought.

I also use painters tape, the blue tape used when painting walls in a house, Tamiya paper tape and Tamiya vinyl tape - it depends on the area to be painted; I'm weird like that.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve clarified my post about using a wooden toothpick or popsicle stick to "burnish".  It does make a noticeable difference.

Offline digitani

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 06:20:23 pm »
Thanks again all!

Is there anything that I can do to fix/clean up the problem now that I have it?

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 02:13:53 pm »
Thanks again all!

Is there anything that I can do to fix/clean up the problem now that I have it?

When this happens to me, I clean up the paint edges with a hobby knife.  This is easier to do with enamel paint (especially in the first 24 hours). With acrylic paint, you will probably need to touch up the base coat after scraping with a hobby kniife.

Offline digitani

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 06:42:54 pm »
Thanks!  I'll give it a try.

Offline Kitguy3

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 10:30:26 am »
After taping I add a thin coat of the base color or a clear coat that seals the tape and makes bleed impossible.
Model long and prosper.

Enterprise © Bloc