Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moebius Battlestar Galactica.... 'As of this moment.....'  (Read 1305 times)

Offline karve

• Admiral
Moebius Battlestar Galactica.... 'As of this moment.....'
« on: January 04, 2019, 09:14:20 am »
Well hello all  :)

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Kevin and I've been away from the hobby for over a year. I'm just now getting the urge to get back into it and start a new build. For those of you who do know me .... sorry ...but I'm back!  8)

For my first new build I've decided to try my hand at the Moebius Battlestar Galactica that I've had in my stash for a couple years now.

00 Out Of Box by Kev C, on Flickr

I really liked the original show when it was on in the 70's  (Yup I'm that old  ;D)  but I LOVED the new version when it was on. It's officially one of my top 5 favourite shows of all time. I have all the Bluray discs and am starting my second run through watching it all since the show ended. This has inspired me to give this kit a go.

I do intend to light the kit. My biggest decision is how to approach the windows in the lower part at the front of the ship. In many of the builds I have seen they use fibre optics. Of course the other option would be a bit of strip lighting. I think I will try that option first. To my way of thinking I can easily try that without committing to it, and if it doesn't look good enough I can always switch to FO.

The other thing that I will be able to try for the very first time with build is weathering. I have seen it done many times on youtube but have always been too chicken to try it on any of my kits. With this ol' girl however I believe I'll give it a go.

I have to order some flickering blue LED's for the engines and get a bit of paint, but for the most part I think I'm in pretty good shape to start right away. I hope you enjoy the build....and please feel free to comment along the way!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:12:22 pm by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
Re: Moebius Battlestar Galactica.... 'As of this moment.....'
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 12:12:27 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this, Loved this version of the show. I've got one of these kits stashed that I"ll get around to building this year as well.

Looking forward to seeing this built.
L.
"You are not stuck where you are - unless you decide to be"

Offline Father Cool

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 12:53:59 pm »
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

The Galactica reboot was in my opinion the best TV series ever made, in any genre. I am an avid Star Trek fan so that fanchise will always take priority for me, but putting aside my trek bias I can accept the brilliance of this series. It had everything, and handled it all with distinction.

I have seen the whole 4 seasons 5 times through.

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 04:39:08 pm »
I'm still in my Galactica phase, coming down the home stretch with my Colonial One. I'm looking forward to your build!

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 06:12:11 pm »
Good to see you back :)

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 04:46:48 pm »
Thanks guys ....  :)

One thing I forgot to mention in my opening post is that I also have the photo etch for this model. It'll add a lot of accuracy in a few places as I go along.

02 Photo etch by Kev C, on Flickr

I got started a bit today...mostly just checking some things out. However, I did get one thing done and I made my decision about lighting the windows.

I got the holes for the windows drilled out with my dremel. Over all it went pretty well, once I got past the fact that it was going to be impossible to get these holes in a perfectly straight line in there. I have noticed that in other builds I've seen and now I know that it is unavoidable. Still, as long as one doesn't look too too closely it looks fine. There doesn't seem to be any info about how many windows there are or the spacing, so, like everyone else, I just winged it ..

03 Windows by Kev C, on Flickr

I have made my decision about the lighting in there. I was thinking about this last night. Here's my reasoning. (correct me if I'm crazy)
  This model is a 1:4105 scale. That's a huge scale difference!
  The drill bit I used to drill the holes was .3mm. Adjusting for scale that means on the 'real' ship each window would be about 1.2 metres in diameter. Now, If I was to use fibre optics in those windows and look at this model from 1 metre away, those windows would look really bright. If I was to adjust to scale and be looking at the real ship, for it to appear the same size to me I would have to be over 4km away. Looking at normally lit room windows that are 1.2 metres in diameter from 4 km away....they sure as heck would not be very bright at all. I'm not sure I could even see them!
  Therefore I'm going to use an LED strip and adjust the resistance so they are visible but not overpoweringly bright.
 I tried it out with a spare little LED strip I had sitting around ....

04 Light test by Kev C, on Flickr

Even with this short strip it was still plenty bright enough in there. Keep in mind of course that with no light blocking yet it's harder to tell. However, it's definitely going to be just fine once I make some adjustments and light block.

05 lit windows by Kev C, on Flickr

The only other work I did today was to the two landing bays. In order to make them more realistic and put the decals and the photo etch parts in properly I had to cut out the alignment posts.

06 landing bays with posts by Kev C, on Flickr
07 Landing bays no posts by Kev C, on Flickr

After I did that I checked out the floors that will be going in there. Not the best fit, and they are both a bit warped...one is worse than the other.

08 warped floor by Kev C, on Flickr

It's not horrible and I can work around that. Of course these will both be lit as well, so they will look very cool when done!

The other area I checked out was where the indented inserts go in the side of the ship. The fit seems OK enough but there is a gap there on the top and the bottom that I think I'll have to fill in with putty.

10 putty needed by Kev C, on Flickr

There will be red lighting in these areas as well so I'll have to account for them when I'm planning things out.

Anyway, That's what I've been up to so far. Nothing too exciting yet, but we have to start somewhere!
Thanks for looking ...  :)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:33:15 am by karve »
Kevin

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 09:53:58 pm »
I think you are handling the window lighting just fine. It's really hard at that scale. This model really needs to be significantly larger.

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 01:17:33 pm »
Does anyone make a 4 foot version of this!  Great build, looking forward to seeing this great ship completed!

Cheers,
James

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 03:05:20 pm »
Does anyone make a 4 foot version of this!  Great build, looking forward to seeing this great ship completed!

I think Boyd has been working on a bigger version by Badazz. I don't know how big it is but it sure is bigger than this one. The problem is if I brought one of those home I'd be divorced....my wife already thinks this is an ugly ship. She says it looks like 'dead cocoon'... :o It may not surprise you to learn that she wasn't a fan of the show.  ;D

Oh well, she just doesn't understand how majestic and tough this ol' girl was ....  ;)

In other news, I worked on a couple things today. First off, I light blocked the windows room. I just need to let it dry and then I can get the LED strip in there and see what it's gonna really look like.

The other thing I did was work on the floors in the launch bays. The support under them looked pretty ...well...non existant. I know it's gonna be pretty much completely unseen, but I still wanted it to be secure in there, so I added some supports underneath them. Also, the floor inserts did not line up well with the surrounding areas on the ends. There was a noticeable drop off at both ends, so I added a bit of a spacer on each end of them to bring them up nearly flush.
11 Floor Supports by Kev C, on Flickr

Once they had a chance to dry a bit I glued them down and clamped them. They feel very nice and solid now. Once they're dry I should be able to add some putty in the gaps at the ends and get a nice smooth surface for the decals to sit on.
12 Floors by Kev C, on Flickr

Onwards and upwards ...thanks for looking.  :)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:57:48 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 08:53:46 am »
This is looking good, Kevin!

It is amazing how much "fixing/modification" we have to do to model kits to get them to "look right".

In lighting the kit, are you going to add chaser lights to the hanger bays?

Keep at it, Buddy! You will get this one sorted!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 04:07:36 pm »
In lighting the kit, are you going to add chaser lights to the hanger bays?

Hey Steve :)
  Na I'm not going to attempt that. I think it'd be way more complex than what I want to attempt with this one. It's too tight in there and there just isn't room...at least not at my skill level.  ::)

I gave my windows a better test today now that I've done the light blocking. I used the same little LED strip I did before, but I added a 560ohm resister in series this time.

13 lit windows by Kev C, on Flickr

I think it's a nice level of brightness. It's there but it doesn't jump out at you. Obviously I have to clean some of the holes out better and I'm actually gonna black some out. Upon further reflection I think I put too many windows in there. I'll black out the ones that are way out of alignment and it'll look much better.
  However, I consider this a successful test.  :)

Kevin

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 07:30:44 am »
It's a crackin' wee kit Kevin.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. If I ever build another (got one in the stash) I m going to try the Shapeways 3D inserts that you can get as I am not a big fan of PE (just useless at using it TBH).

It would be great if they released a larger scale version that didn't cost two kidneys and a lung.
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 06:55:16 am »
Iain, you could go with Pegasus as she's about 50% bigger than Galactica.

Kevin, like your approach to the lighting and enjoy following your build.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 05:36:37 pm »
Hi all  :)

It's been a while since I did an update for my Galactica. I've been working away at it slowly but there hasn't been much happening worth reporting....nothing we haven't seen a million times. However, I thought I'd let you know what I've been up to....

First up, light blocking ....
14 light blocking by Kev C, on Flickr

Pretty exciting eh?   ;D

Next up I ran the wiring through the support arms for the landing bays and got them glued to the top halves.
15 Landing bay arms by Kev C, on Flickr

Again, nothing really exotic or complicated here. I'm keeping in mind that I want to do the priming and base coats on most of the sub assemblies before I glue too much together. There are so many small tricky angles on the finished model that I think it would be very difficult to paint after assembly.

I used cool white LED strips for the lighting in the landing bays ....
16 Landing bay lights by Kev C, on Flickr

and the brightness is just right in my opinion. With this model I'm trying to stay somewhat in scale with the lighting like I explained earlier....
17 Landing bay lit by Kev C, on Flickr

Next up I've been considering how to keep the light leak to a minimum around the bottom edge (top?) of the windowed area where it glues to the adjacent piece. It's really tight right next to it with lots of detail so I didn't want to try and use any Tulip fill or anything like that. I would make a mess.  ::)

The solution I came up with was to run a length of electrical tape around the top of the piece on the inside where it will meet the other piece.
18 light blocking edges by Kev C, on Flickr

Then, after I applied the glue to the edge I slowly laid the piece in place as I folded the tape in with my hobby knife. The result was pretty good!
19 gluing window room by Kev C, on Flickr

No light leaking through at all. The glue that made its way onto the tape should help hold it in place in there quite nicely. Also, you'll notice where I blacked out several of the windows. I came to the conclusion that I opened up too many windows. Also, This will make it appear that several rooms are empty and darkened.

Lastly, I did a test of the red lighting in the areas where the landing bays would retract into for the FTL jumps. I wanted to do a burn in period for the SMD's anyway so I thought I'd tape them in place and see how they will look.
20 testing red lighting by Kev C, on Flickr

So far so good I think.

Next up it'll be time to do some painting. ......

Onwards and upwards ... Thanks for looking!  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:40:10 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 10:41:50 pm »
I love light blocking!  Thanks for sharing!!!!

Enterprise © Bloc