Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moebius Battlestar Galactica.... 'As of this moment.....'  (Read 1655 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Moebius Battlestar Galactica.... 'As of this moment.....'
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 07:52:17 am »
Nice paint job, Karve!

Keep going!

One day I will grow up and be as good as you!

Well, be as good as you - don't know about the growing up thing! :D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2019, 06:52:35 am »
Looking good!
Great idea on securing the SMDs, and I really like what your method of 'blacking out' windows from the back side. 
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 03:54:17 pm »
Thanks so much for the encouragement guys. As always, it means a lot.  ;)

Time for another update. I've been moving a bit slowly for a while because I've been thinking about what might be the best order to do things. Since I didn't come up with a definitive answer I decided just  wing it and hope for the best.  ::)

The first thing to do was get the landing bays put together. That included getting the photo etch parts put in place and getting them glued together.
 47 landing bay ready by Kev C, on Flickr

Once I got them glued I hooked them up to make sure they worked ok. I tried to take a picture of the interior lit up and failed miserably. It's just too small and too long to get any kind of focus and detail showing up. This was the best I could do....sorry.... :-[
48 landing bay lights by Kev C, on Flickr

Today I did the wiring for the engines in the main body (top and bottom halves) and did a bit of interconnecting with the landing bay retraction area lights. I had put the engines on the body halves a couple days ago. The LEDs in the first picture are for the engines in that main part of the body.
50 wiring by Kev C, on Flickr
51 wiring 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

I dry fit the two halves together and fired up the engines. Lo and behold they worked!
52 engines fired up by Kev C, on Flickr

The LEDS are flickering and they look really good!

The big question I've been thinking about was whether to get the ship put together before I applied the first clear coat or do I do the clear coat first. I thought it might be easier to do the clear coat before I assembled. However, I decided to do at least some of the assembly first because if there was any seam work and/or light blocking that needs to be done I can do that, paint it, and then clear coat it all rather than mucking around. There is no 'right' answer so I'll hope for the best.

Sooo....the first part was to get the landing bays glued in place.
53 assembly started by Kev C, on Flickr

That's as far as I got today. I'll post more pictures as I go and hopefully it will come together nicely and not give me any grief!  ::)

Thanks for looking!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Kuce

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2019, 08:15:37 pm »
It's looking good.  How well is the light showing up with the PE in place?  I was wondering how much it would block.

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 04:42:39 am »
How well is the light showing up with the PE in place?  I was wondering how much it would block.

It blocks some but not too badly. If I was to do it again I would use an LED strip long enough to go from pretty much end to end along the top instead of only 2/3 like I did. That would make it brighter.

Kevin

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 07:17:40 am »
She's moving along quickly and well, Kevin!

The PE in the landing bays look pretty good to me.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are going to use FO for the windows on the gator head; right?!

What are you going to do for the wash?

Keep it up! Looking great!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 01:50:52 pm »
Correct me if I am wrong, but you are going to use FO for the windows on the gator head; right?!
No. I decided against using FO in the gator head windows because they would be unrealistically bright in my estimation. Have a look at the first thrid of the thread....I go into my dilemma in pretty good detail there.  ;)

What are you going to do for the wash?

I got all kinds of great advice on washes etc to use, and I will look into them for later builds. However, for this one I'm probably going to look into some Valejo washes or make some of my own with thinned paint. Hopefully I'm not gonna screw it up.  ::)

Here are a couple more pictures of what I've been up to today. I got the wiring completed in the main hull...forgot to take a picture of it  :-[  ... and then glued the two halves together. She's really starting to look like the old girl now.  :)
55 glued body 2 by Kev C, on Flickr
54 glued body 1 by Kev C, on Flickr

Tomorrow I'll get the gator head hooked up and glued on and then I'll be ready to tackle the clear coat and the first wash. I'm going to my hobby shop on Saturday so I'll see what I can find.
  I'm really looking forward to trying my hand at doing a wash and the dry brushing. I've seen so many mind blowing results from people who are good at it I'm anxious to give it a go!

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:27:30 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2019, 04:03:07 pm »
The quickest of quick updates today folks ....

Well, she's all assembled....
56 Assembled by Kev C, on Flickr

I've been wroking at fixing up a few light leaks here and there. As I feared I have a doozey around the big engine at the back of the ship with that clear part (I HATE clear parts!  :'() I'll do what I can with it but I'm doubtful if I can get rid of it.....

Thanks for looking!
Kevin

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2019, 08:26:19 pm »
Looking good!  Is she done then, or is there any more detailing left?

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2019, 04:30:43 am »
Looking good!  Is she done then, or is there any more detailing left?

Nope, not done yet. I got weathering I want to do. That's one of the reasons I'm doing this kit right now is because I have never done weathering before and I want to give it a try. Sometime in the next few days when I get time I'm going to give it a clear coat and the start with the weathering....see how badly I can mess it up.  ::)
Kevin

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2019, 07:15:38 am »
Lovin' your work.

At least that large clear piece at her rear can be painted over as those engines don't get used too much during the series. If/when I build another one I will of course pinch all your ideas and I'm going to try the Shapeways hangar bay/hull inserts.
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2019, 07:36:13 am »
Hey Kevin - this is looking great!

I haven't done weathering before either and am very interested in how you will do it.

I have purchased a partially built TOS Cylon basestar specifically to try to weather it. So, if you don't mind going into some detail about how you do it and your critic of it - I would be very interested! :)

Keep going! You're doing great work here!

Steve

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 03:44:55 pm »
Hi guys ...  :)

Well I finally got up the nerve to do the wash of my nice shiney Galactica, so here's how it went.

The first thing I did was apply a clear coat. I figured since it was going to be covered up several times over I didn't bother using any fancy expensive clear coat. I just used future. It always covers well and it's very easy to use.

For the this first time doing a wash I decided to go with the premixed Vallejo black wash....
57 vallejo wash by Kev C, on Flickr

According to what I've read and the videos I've watched it's just a matter of brushing it on, so that's what I did. I tried to be careful not to get too much pooling in the crevices, but other than that I just brushed it on however it wanted to be. I'm thinking that this old girl is going through hell with the cylons so no one is being too concerned with washing the outside, so I want it to look dirty and badly abused. To that end, I'm going fairly dark with the first coat of wash.
  Part way through I took a picture to show the drastic difference that wash is making. Here's two pictures. The first is what I started with, and then the one I took part way through.
58 pre wash by Kev C, on Flickr
59 mid wash by Kev C, on Flickr

It covered very well over all. It's very thin so like I said it tried to pool in some spots. I just brushed those pools out and smoothed it out.

As far as I know it turned out fine so far...I think ....but what do I know... ;D

60 bottom washed by Kev C, on Flickr
61 top washed by Kev C, on Flickr

Its much much darker and looks dirtier. The next step I want to do is apply a very thin and sporadic layer of a bit of rust coloured wash, just to give a bit of a feel for that tone. I don't want it to look rusty but I just want that 'feel' in spots. Joe (Kuce) had suggested that possibility and I had been thinking the same thing so what the heck..  :) After that I'll do some dry brushing of the steel colour again and see where that leads us. I also bought some black pigment to try and do a few spots of battle damage. We'll see how it goes.  ::)

Thanks for looking. ....Steve, I hope I went into enough detail for you. Wasn't much to tell but I did my best.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:02:26 pm by karve »
Kevin

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 05:14:57 pm »
The 'Bucket' is looking great!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline TD1701

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2019, 08:31:02 am »
Nice work with the black wash. :) Can't wait to see it with the rust wash and battle damage applied.

Enterprise © Bloc