Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3D Printers  (Read 773 times)

Offline philco36

• Commander
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow - Uriah Heep
3D Printers
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:06:20 pm »
Hello everyone! For the past several years, I have been saving Amazon gift cards received as gifts from friends and family, to purchase a 3D printer. I am ready!! My budget is between $250.00 and $500.00. I am curious to what members here have 3D printers, how it is working for you, and what does everyone recommend?

Thanks all for your input.

Phil

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
Re: 3D Printers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 01:40:25 am »
I have a Wanhao D6 and an Creality Ender 3. Both are good printers but for the price the Ender is better.
At a 200 dollar price tag the prints are great. It prints better than the Wanhao which is a 500 dollar printer.

I also have a Sparkmaker SLA resin printer and a Wanhao D7 SLA resin printer. Small build areas but excellent prints.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline philco36

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 09:40:16 am »
Thanks Tank, I will look into them.

Phil

Offline Father Cool

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:01:56 am »
I have an Anycubic Photon DLP and the prints are incredible.

Offline digitani

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 06:46:10 pm »
I have a Monoprice MP Select Mini which only has a 4x4x4 print volume, but on sale it was only around $100.  It does a fantastic job!  If you are only printing small stuff its great.

Offline philco36

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 07:39:00 pm »
Hey Digi,

This is one that i have been looking at. Thanks.

Phil

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 01:56:43 am »
I have an AnyCubic Photon, Ender 3, and CR-10s.

It all depends on what you want to  do.  If you want to make small highly detailed parts, I recommend a resin SLA/DLP printer.  If you want to make larger parts you'll need an FDM printer.   Right now AnyCubic is having a sale on their Photon, they are getting ready to introduce the next generation version so they have a sale on the Photon.  Mine is a work horse!

The Ender3 is also very nice and is in your price range.  I paid $220 for mine and that included shipping and a borocillicate glass bed upgrade.  Be ready though, there is a learning curve no matter which format you go with.

Offline philco36

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 05:04:03 pm »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I didn't go with a resin printer due to the major complaints of the smell of the resin as it is printing, and I am set up in a pretty tight space. So I went with the Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer V2. I haven't used it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

I will be looking for any "parts programs" that people may have developed/designed to upgrade kits, including most of the Trek kits.

Again, thanks all.

Phil

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 05:52:14 am »
Interesting thread.....  and I'm pleased to find that 3D printers are not as expensive to get into as I previously believed.

For those of you who own these and have used them for a while now, I would ask what other types of objects do you print which are not related to this hobby?

Thanks,
Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline philco36

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 03:56:40 pm »
Hey Wolf,

Thanks for asking. I like the thread also. I am getting into the 3D printing, as evident by the thread, and would like to know what people have been doing within the hobby. I know of Thingiverse.com, what other sites are out there that you can get some great ideas to print?

Phil

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 05:54:45 pm »
I print props, decorative nic-nacs, parts for the 3d printers complete model kits if I can find them.

As for where to find stl files go to yeggi.com and search away. It is the best search engine for print files
you can find lot's of free and paid for stuff.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline homyakchik

• Emperor of the Known Universe
  • Ensign
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 03:07:12 pm »
Halfway different question (although still I guess related to the original): a couple of responders wrote about resin-printing printers (including one who didn't go that way because of the smell). Do I understand these types of 3D printers to print using the two-part resin you can get at hobby shops for manually making and casting parts? If so, DO such printers do such a thing? I have little sense of smell, but I have a reasonably inexpensive fix for securing said two-part mixtures. If it does that and isn't too expensive/wasteful, I could go for a decent printer at last. :)

Thanks!

Davey

Offline philco36

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 04:14:23 pm »
Hey Davey,

Here is a youtube video of one of the resin printers:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gar2jcRlGTo

He mentions the odor towards the end.

Phil

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 11:48:30 pm »
Resin for 3d printers is a one part resin. The layers are cured by UV light.
There are two different ways  the more expensive printers use a UV Laser They are
called SLA. The other kind and less expensive use an lcd screen that is back lit with a UV array
the layers are projected in the screen in white and illuminated by the UV light. They are
called DLP. The resins do put off an oder some resins are stronger than others. The two I use
are low oder and not bad at all.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 09:04:17 pm »
Halfway different question (although still I guess related to the original): a couple of responders wrote about resin-printing printers (including one who didn't go that way because of the smell). Do I understand these types of 3D printers to print using the two-part resin you can get at hobby shops for manually making and casting parts? If so, DO such printers do such a thing? I have little sense of smell, but I have a reasonably inexpensive fix for securing said two-part mixtures. If it does that and isn't too expensive/wasteful, I could go for a decent printer at last. :)

Thanks!

Davey

I agree with Tankton...  the odor depends on the brand, but so far none have been really bad in my opinion.  My wife has never complained about the resin smell but does about the IPA I use to clean the parts with and that's just simple rubbing alcohol.

One nice thing about the DLP printers is that they 'print' all the parts at once where as an SLA laser printer is just a tad slower (not much but still slower) because the laser has to draw every layer for each part.   Speed wise the resin printers are like the Road Runner and FDM printers are like a snail.  I did a test between the two.  I printed the same part on both at the same time and the Photon was done in 40 minutes whereas the FDM printer took almost 3 hours.   BUT...  I can print much bigger parts on the FDM, just not as nice or as fast.

Enterprise © Bloc