Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battlestar Pegasus - Moebius 1/4105  (Read 1408 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Battlestar Pegasus - Moebius 1/4105
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:31:58 am »
Hello all and Happy New Year!
I was going to hold off posts for the new board, but since everyone else is still going...

Next project is:
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
Re: Battlestar Pegasus - Moebius 1/4105
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:35:45 am »
Overall fit of the pieces is somewhere just short of amazing.  A few spots will require work, but just about all the big obvious joints are nearly perfect.  Great engineering with this kit.  The one area of concern is in the mounting of the flight bays, but I'll get to that.

Up first is some work on the sublight engines.  The first pic shows the fit OOB.  They seal up nicely but are sprung a little.  So, they were clamped in place and cooked in the oven for 15 minutes (175F).  Out of the oven the second pic shows they are much better aligned.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 07:37:48 am »
Next was to open up space for wiring.  A looksy at the attachment points shows a nice place for a hole.  First drill the hole in the main hull with a 1/8" bit, then use that as the pattern for where to drill the engine pod, then repeat 7 times and open up to 1/4".

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:18:31 am »
Nice! You don't see too many Pegasus builds. I'm looking forward to this.

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 01:02:29 pm »
Scott,

I'll be keeping an eye on this build as well. I've got one of these in my stash as well along with the
 aftermarket resin pieces someone was offering when the kit first came out. As Dave said you don't see too many of these built here. Looking forward to seeing this come to life.

L.
"You are not stuck where you are - unless you decide to be"

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 02:21:33 pm »
Thanks for watching!

Something interesting about Pegasus is that there is a lot of spot light kind of lighting, where you kind of see the light, but mostly what it illuminates.  I'm trying to go for that in a couple of cases with larger FO.  In another case, the marquee lighting for the registry, some SMD lights will be used with a tiny custom box.

Lastly on this note, word of warning, there are a lot of LEDs in this build, and way more FO.  All of the launch tubes are detailed into the area between the landing bays, and that alone is 41 per side.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 02:36:40 pm »
With unguided lighting projects I find myself regularly having to think and rethink how to get light to show up at a certain point.  How will the wires get run?  Use FO or not?  Will the wires fit?  Where do you cut the holes for the wires?  What will keep the lights in place?

-First up here is a burn in run to test the lights.  I usually go overnight.  Interestingly, I've yet to have a failure.
-Next the flickering white engine LEDs and the clear inserts were painted blue.  In retrospect I should have just added more resistance to dampen the brightness.
-Then all the engine halves are light blocked.  Note that the aft guide pin is cut out to give a clear shot for the light.
-To keep the LED aligned at the 'exhaust', small platforms were built with strip styrene.  Note the small piece on top that will be a guide with the leads from the LED.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 02:49:18 pm »
Next, 8 sets of lights for the engines were soldered up.  There is one flickering light, painted blue, and one white light for a couple pieces of FO. Testing showed the lights were still really bright, so some Tulip was applied to the LEDs directly.  The red and black 'goo' on the wires is also Tulip for insulation.  Cheaper than 'liquid electrical tape' and it has no smell.

After test fitting and bending as needed the light assemblies were locked place with 1) a small piece of styrene locking the blue light, and 5 minute epoxy for the straw holding the FO/white light.  Cotton was stuffed in the straw to help tamp down light leaks.

Finally, I still had problems with excess light....when it occurred to me that I didn't need to block the light, just make it blue.  A little tape, a little glue to keep in place permanently and voila.  Which is french for, and then I found out.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 08:33:31 am »
Scott, this is looking familiar - as in your TOS BSG!

With unguided lighting projects I find myself regularly having to think and rethink how to get light to show up at a certain point.  How will the wires get run?  Use FO or not?  Will the wires fit?  Where do you cut the holes for the wires?  What will keep the lights in place?

This has become the most fun of a build for me; figuring out the lighting.

...and voila.  Which is french for, and then I found out.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Keep going, Sir! This is gonna be fabulous!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 08:30:54 pm »
@Steve, thanks, but I did a BSG reboot, not the original.  However, Pegasus was actually designed to look more like TOS.

I too find lighting challenging and fun, but wait till you see the landing bays.  They are going to be scary!

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 10:21:57 pm »
Looking good so far! I have this one sitting in my stash so ill be watching this one!
Phil

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 06:28:47 am »
Nice one Scott - you might convince me to finish the one I started 3/4 years ago. I bought the PE set after I failed dismally at making my own hangar walls: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/282230-bsg-pegasus/&tab=comments#comment-2687621
You can get a cool lighting effect by thinning out the back walls of the engine pods and some of the body and put an SMD right behind it - holding it there with hot glue.
Got any ideas on how you're going to tackle the body paint? I was thinking for mine a light base coat of maybe dark or neutral gray then sprayed with Alclad Titanium to get that metallic look. I'm interested to see what you do with yours

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 08:02:32 am »
@Steve, thanks, but I did a BSG reboot, not the original. 

Oops. I really thought it was the TOS - age isn't doing me any favors... :)

Ah well.
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 02:59:49 pm »
I'll be watching this build closely as well. It'll be interesting to see all the differences between this one and the Galactica I'm doing. Fun to watch!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 08:09:01 am »
And now for a lot of work on the flight pods. To begin with, even if they were the same size as the Galactica, there are twice as many!

The lighting on this ship is quite different than Galactica, and some of the effects I decided not to attempt.  For the marquee lighting of the registry, I came up with another idea.  The first pic zooms in on the registry and shows a bit of detail that needed to be removed.  The green marks are where .02" or .03" FO will be used for highlights.  BTW, the lowest ones turned out to not work because there wasn't enough room, but I'll try to show that later.

The next pics show the detail sanded down and the 'light box' that was built (x2) to get the marquee lighting effect.  After match marking the light box to the flight pod, holes were drilled for SMDs.

Enterprise © Bloc