Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battlestar Pegasus - Moebius 1/4105  (Read 775 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Battlestar Pegasus - Moebius 1/4105
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 05:42:21 pm »
And now for a demo of what 'baking' can do for you.

First pic you see all the FO strands bulging out.  While they could be left like this, that runs the risk of something getting pinched or out of place when you go to seal them up.

so, take a piece of plastic junk and tape, clamp the strands in place and bake at 170F for 20 minutes, cool, and remove the clamp.  In this case, I used this type of clamp so that things would not get compressed any further.

After cooling and unclamping everything stays put.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 06:21:30 pm »
Here's another shot of one of the FOUR light boxes needed...and shots of two ways the SMDs were mounted.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 06:26:38 pm »
Final work on the upper part of an upper pod.  You can see the tails for the two marquee SMDs.
It turns out my 'elegant' solution for the red and green running lights didn't work so well, so I had to add two more lights. 
The test photos here are before I fixed those running lights, so the red ones are a little dim.

I like the lighting for the entry ways, though the decals don't mesh up quite perfectly.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 06:38:19 pm »
And now for the launch tubes.  The tubes are located between the upper and lower landing bays, with 42 total.
Drill the holes, route the FO.  First I used .020", but it was too rigid to bend as tightly as you will see is needed. 
Secure the FO with tape so they exit straight.  Glue with gorilla glue, taping on top so the glue stays below the lip.  The recess is .03" tall.

bundle the FO and move toward where the light box will be.  The light box is .02" tall, but considerably wider.  Don't worry, I used to bullseye womprats in my T-16 back home and they weren't much bigger.

Cut FO, shove into lightbox.  The tiny hole is for the SMD.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 06:43:37 pm »
And as I was mocking up the fit, I found a couple of parts had warped!  Oven to the rescue.

finding a small piece of wood I clamped the errant landing bay and baked it in position.  30 minutes later, unclamped, all good.

Test fittings sat.  Now just the last SMDs need to be placed and all can be sealed up.  WHEW!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 06:59:39 pm »
Wow Scott! You must have hit the FLT drive! It seems like you made a lot of headway on this build!

Thanks for the tutorial on baking the FO! Outstanding!

Keep going! I'm learning  lots!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Kuce

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 08:02:12 pm »
Scott, how are you not blind?  I started looked at this and after the 3rd picture my mind just went "pop".

Amazing!

Joe

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 07:35:05 pm »
@Joe, well, i'm not blind up close...just at distances.  :P

Enterprise © Bloc