Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battlestar Pegasus - Moebius 1/4105  (Read 512 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Battlestar Pegasus - Moebius 1/4105
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 08:11:05 am »
To finish up the marquee lighting modifications:
now the lightbox is placed and the SMD tested.  Still working on getting the resistance correct.

Next up is lighting the landing bay approach lights and all the inside work on the pods. 
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 08:05:47 am »
Scott, that is a very ingenious idea for lighting the marquee. Well done!

Will there be two lights for the marquee or just the one?

This is looking good. Keep at it!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 05:22:25 pm »
@Steve, there are two lights per marquee. 

For the upper flight pods, looks like minimum 1 red, 1 green and 1 white LED in addition to the 2 SMDs. 
For the lower pods, same thing but no SMDs. 
Of course, what I have not figured out yet is where the launch tube lights will be.   :P

More pictures soon.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 08:06:05 am »
I tend to work several sections at once, always waiting on this to dry or that putty to set or something.  But I've decided to hold off on posting until I can complete a section so it tells a better story.

The bow section consists of two major assemblies, upper and lower.  There are also recessed parts for both.  They required a small amount of body work after installation.  While there are some standard 'windows' on 'The Beast', these are only in the trench of the upper section.  There are also lots of 'spot lights', and large diameter FO will be used to try and get that effect (with varying amounts of luck).

First up is the lower section, which has some internal lights, but the part that goes on top of it also has some of those 'spot lights'.  This results in having one batch of FO having to be squeezed into the other section.  As well, the thick FO needs to be bent with a heat gun and even that does not keep it under control.  AFter getting it where I want it, I clamp it and bake at 170F for 20 minutes.  everything settles into place.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 08:11:12 am »
The upper section has a mix of large and small FO, so the large goes in first.  Although this is easier, it also means playing 'Operation' while running the smaller stuff.  I had thought to put the large FO in a couple of other places, but the lower panel sealing up the upper section resulted in no clearance.  :(

Four LEDs were used, with different resistances to give different brightness (with the thick spot lights being brightest.

After determining how the wires would get out of the bow section, it was all fitted together (which was great but not perfect) and baked to ensure the alignment was as close as possible.  Why?  Because the upper and lower sections are not mated to the main hull as one unit...

And now these two pieces can sit on the shelf for a bit while the landing bays are worked.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 07:20:48 am »
Hey Scott,

This is looking great and, as always, your work keeps challenging me to raise the bar with my own work! :)

AFter getting it where I want it, I clamp it and bake at 170F for 20 minutes.  everything settles into place.

I think I understand the concept, but the actual visual image escapes me. What clamp did you use? The quick clamp? The heat doesn't affect the clamp?

After determining how the wires would get out of the bow section, it was all fitted together (which was great but not perfect) and baked to ensure the alignment was as close as possible.  Why?  Because the upper and lower sections are not mated to the main hull as one unit...

Again with the "baked"! This seems like a technique I should have used on the Protector. So clamped again? What did you use as the platform to support both the model and the clamp? Wood? 2 x 4 block?

As always, keep going! I am learning alot and seeing the skills I need to develop!

So Say We All!

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 06:06:33 pm »
So, more on the clamping and baking.  Polystyrene, to include the stuff I use as FO cable, becomes flexible somewhere around 170F, but it is far from melting.  The really thick parts don't tend to bend much at that temp, if at all. 

let's say you have five parts (upper bow, upper bow plate, lower bow, lower bow plate and the connecting piece.  When you fit them together they are OK, but require a lot of pushing and prodding to get alignment.  To fix this, put the whole mass together and clamp it in place, but with _just_ enough pressure to make it align correctly.  THus, when the softer bits soften you are not pushing them any further. 

Sit the contraption on a cutting board and stick in the oven.  I put it to 170F and hold for 1min after it gets to temp.  Take it out and let it cool.  If you did it right, when you release the clamps there is no movement.

When it comes to FO, the thicker parts are hard to get into position, and you don't  really want to force them into position when you are doing final assembly.  One solution is the press the FO into places you want it to lay, hold it there, bake it and, voila, they stay in position.

I'll dig up some parts to demonstrate the whole process, maybe with a couple videos, but trust me it is harder to describe than to do it.

Best of all, let's say you have some slightly warped pieces (check the recent galactica build!), you can use this technique to gain much better alignment and less putty.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 12:23:39 pm »
Thanks, Scott, for the detailed explanation!

I will have to try this on my next warped model - which could be the next model! :)

Thanks again!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 08:05:25 pm »
And now for the continuing saga of the landing bays (or flight pods, whatever floats your boat)
Pegasus has 2x the flight bays, rather an "in your face" demonstration of their control of gravity as the lower one is inverted...But this means you have four flight pods to finish rather than Galactica's two.

Having decided to add lighting accents to the marquee, the landing lights (port/starboard), and highlights along the hull, this led to quite a bit of FO as well as LEDs.

a mix of .030", .020" and .010"  FO were used.  Rather than just open space, the kit includes perspective decals for the landing bays which you can see in these shots.  I attempted at first to use .060" FO to illuminate these, so you can see them in a couple pics. (the really thick FO) But in the end they didn't illuminate well, so I replaced them with SMDs.

So first up, adding the running lights for the landing bays.  The issue here is the angle of the surface.  Solution: drill down to give you a flat surface to drill into the flight pod.  Then, insert FO, apply putty, remove FO, sand putty.  Sheesh!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 08:10:34 pm »
Next on the pods, the landing strips and interiors were painted gray, then holes were drilled for the running light FO as well as the large FO (which would later become SMDs).  Then the perspective decals were applied.

For the landing decks, the square holes for rail guns need to be filled as they go all the way through to the visible part of the landing area.  Filling them ensures the decals look smooth, and the rail guns will be mounted without the square alignment piece.

I have seen one build of this kit where the landing strip has deck lighting....I have absolutely no idea how they did that.

Enterprise © Bloc