Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Space Pod - Lost in space  (Read 324 times)

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
Space Pod - Lost in space
« on: January 13, 2019, 12:53:21 pm »
January 13, 2019

Space Pod from Lost in Space

I’m back at it again. I spent most of last year building things on a much grander scale that forced me to put modeling aside. Now that I’ve got all the furniture and boxes moved out of my work space I can relax again…if you want to call modeling relaxing.  ;D While I was reassembling my house, I came across a bunch of models I’d started building, boxed up, and never finished. Sooo I figured this would be a good place to restart the hobby, by finishing things I’d started before starting new ones...

First up is the Lost in Space – Space Pod. I’d started this kit when it first came out, five or six years ago. I partially assembled it and then decided it’d be cool to light it. That plan didn’t work out so well and I got stuck and couldn’t think my way out of it. This by the way was before I’d found this site and learned a few things from you guys  ;) . So my plan is simple now, I’ll finish the one I started without lighting it and build another one the way I intended to with lights. Mr. Jerry H. at HDAModelworx hooked me up with the 50th anniversary edition of the Space Pod over Christmas along with the Tenacontrols lighting sequencer for the engine effect. I’d already had a set of the Paragrafix photoetch intended for the first one so I’ll use it to round this model off.
So here we go again…

Currently I’m prepping control surfaces for Lighting, I’ve begun scrapping off the kits control surfaces in order to attach the photo etch.

Rear bulk head –

I learned from the original build that it is extremely tight between the two pieces of the rear bulk head, the two pieces are sandwiched together and there is just no space between the outside hull walls around the door, however the panel is partially exposed on the back side when assembled so installing a couple of SMD’s should work to get some lighting behind the panels. So I’m going to try to light what I can.

Side bulk heads –

There is some space between the outer hull and inner bulk head. Enough to try some SMD’s and maybe some fiber optics behind the various panels, it gets a little tight where the outer bulk head curves into the inner bulk head up around the ceiling. I’ve scraped off the kit control surfaces and started cutting out areas behind the panels to allow enough light to shine thru the little holes and illuminate the decals.

Forward Control console –

I’ve seen builds where the two side lights on either side of the console are overpowering, I think they should light, but not over power the console. I’m going to try the raytheon technique and let them glow so to speak. I’ve already drilled the back side of the kit piece to thin the plastic so I’ll see how that works out after I get everything painted. If it doesn’t light up the way I want, I’ll drill it out and put an appropriated sized bulb in and resistor it down to the point that it glows.
Here again, the front control is a made up of a sandwich of three pieces. I’ve basically cut up the underlying platform that the forward control panel attaches to. I did leave enough to glue it down to.

Once the prep for the lighting is done, the rest is pretty straight forward. The kit is simple and easy to paint and build. Yeah….we’ll see how that goes.  ;D

Thanks for reading the thesis.
L. 
"You are not stuck where you are - unless you decide to be"

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:15:45 pm »
January 14, 2019

This is going to be a little lengthy, didn’t have time during the week to post a quick blog, pretty much put in a few nights work to get to this point.

I’m definitely lighting this one so I’ve got the walls and hull pieces prepped, primed, and light blocked. I first applied an adhesion promoter to the walls and hull pieces after cleaning everything. Figured that with some of the masking needed later on it wouldn’t hurt to play it safe now. I’ve got the interior walls painted in their final color and some of the smaller hull pieces. The door and fusion core were more a trial to see how the silver would turn out. My initial thinking was that the silver was going to be too bright like the Testors Aluminum, but with the gray primer undercoat the silver turns out fine for me. Here again, I try to paint my models like what I see on the screen…captains prerogative.  ;D

I’m using Testors enamel as I’m still in that putting my modeling world back together mode and don’t have all the acrylic stuff located. I’ve managed to find all the enamel stuff and still have a pretty good variety of colors to make this work.

I’ve also prepped the photo etch, mainly the electrical panels, first I wiped the pieces down in an alcohol bath then shot them with the adhesion promoter, gray primer, and finally painted them in a testors silver. There are a couple of the panels that are painted blue on the one wall. So far everything looks good.

Fusion core –

I’d seen a couple of vids online where modelers had issues with the Tena controls sequencer fitting into the fusion core properly, so I tested it myself and found that it’s a tad too tall to fit inside without cutting the hull open…which is what I wound up doing. So basically now it’ll be partially recessed into the hull with the circuit board fitting right under the cockpit floor. The final solution will be to build up the space between the floor and circuit board just a bit to get the lights even with the hull line. I’ll let you know when I get there.

That’s it for now, next is the lighting…oh joy.  ;)
L.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Space Pod - Lost in space
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 07:57:30 am »
L.

Not sure I have seen a build of this, much less the actual model, anywhere on the boards. Nice choice!

In lighting the model, especially the bottom (ventral) engine, are you gonna put in those chasing lights like the Jupiter has?

Always curious. Steady as she goes.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 03:05:51 pm »
I'm gonna really enjoy watching this. My Jupiter 2 build was quite the challenge so I'm looking forward to watching you nail this one.
  It's looking good so far....keep it up!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 01:17:04 am »
I have this one in the stash. Looking forward to how you approach it.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 10:10:48 pm »
Thanks guys for the positive words.

Steve,
I am going to install the chasing sequencer in this new build. I'm too far along on the first build to try wiring it up - I'm  building two of these actually. The first one I planned all wrong for lighting - more of an after thought, so it was easier to start fresh with a new build. I can say that the sequencer is a bit cheaper than from what I remember for the space pod. The sequencer was a bit tall to fit inside the circular engine ring so a bit of cutting the lower hull to set the lights even with the bottom of the lower hull.
I'm in the middle of prepping the photo etch for lighting. I'll post an update here in the next day or so how I applied the decals to a clear sheet and attached to the photo etch. The couple if pieces I've got done look pretty good so far.

Cameron,

definitely like to see another build on here - or the new site whenever that happens.  ;)

thanks again.

L.

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 08:53:04 pm »
January 27, 2019

I’ve started assembling the interior walls, I have them light blocked, painted, and applied the photo etch panels to their appropriate positions. I had scraped off the kits details on all the panels in preparation for the photo etch. I did leave a slightly raised ghost of the original panel – I figured it would be a good indicator for placement of the PE. This kind of bit me in the butt a little as the PE is slightly sized different, so I have a couple of places where there is a frame around the panel. No big deal, I touched these places up with some silver and it blends in with the PE panel.

The assembly order I used to apply the photo etch was to first prep and paint the interior walls, anneal the PE, coat the PE in adhesion promoter, light coat of primer, then paint the majority of the PE panels in a silver enamel. The only exceptions were the two lower panels on the right wall, these are painted in a light blue.

Decals –
I've applied the decals on to some clear cellophane, for this I used an envelope window from a piece of junk mail. The stuff is extremely flexible, but tough enough to support the decals and prevent them from tearing, it also provided a surface to color the individual openings in the PE, not to mention that it’s easy to cut. After letting the decals set up, I applied the photo etch directly to the cellophane sheet without cutting out the decals. This made it easier to position the decal gauges into their respective position while looking thru the little windows in the PE.

I used micro metal foil glue to bond the two together, I think this is the same people who make Micro crystal clear, micro sol, etc. I’ve had it for a long time now and don’t remember who made it or where I got it….anyway, the glue has the consistence of Elmer’s glue but a bit tackier when it sets up. Even after it was dry, it still remains a little tacky, but workable.
While all the PE pieces were still attached to the cellophane sheet I used a red, green, blue, and black fine tip markers…and I mean fine tipped, to color the cellophane behind the openings in the PE. This was a lot easier to do rather than try and paint them in with a brush. Just holding it up to the light looks good. I have to say it again, the markers were pretty fine tipped. I was pretty happy with using them, I went back to Michael s and bought a couple more in different colors. I picked up a couple different shades of silver, grays, etc. The fine tip makes it a lot easier to color the fine details on the kits details and on the PE – just saying  ;D Not sure why I didn’t see this before – makes life a lot easier  :P ….anyhoo, once I had the openings colored in and happy with the results, I cut each piece of PE out and started applying them to their respective places on the walls.

Once I’m done assembling all the walls, I’ll shoot the assembled walls with a semi gloss clear just to seal everything up and avoid any smudges. I'll post some more pics when I get the interior done.

That's it for now, thanks for following along,
L.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 08:00:26 am »
DUDE! (Can I call you "Dude"?!)

That looks AWESOME!! No seriously!!

I was just looking at a "shine-through" PE parts for my TOS BSG Viper. This is a perfect example to follow.

Keep at it! It looks fantastic!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 07:48:36 pm »
LoL, yes you can call me Dude.  I do bowl however, I don't drink white Russians  ;D

I'm glad you can use this for the viper Steve, this is a good way to recycle junk mail...lol

The effect definitely worked out for me. the Micro foil glue doe help the bond. I'm not sure if another type of glue would keep it together. So I would test it first with another type of glue before you use it on the actual model.

L.

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 10:49:19 pm »
February 2, 2019

I’ve assembled the interior walls to the floor…I need to back up here and tell you how bad the instructions are. Mobius should have gotten an English speaking person to write and illustrate the instruction sheet. I think at this point I would have settled for one big blown up schematic depicting where all of the parts go instead of the written run on sentences that state glue this part to that part throughout the entire instruction sheet. The problem occurs when you’re hunting for where to attach some the little parts that they don’t show in the scarce drawings they do have. I’ve got some small parts on the sprue that I still haven’t figured out where they go. Flustering to say the least! This reminds me a lot like the instructions of the Seaview I built.

Anyway, enough ranting, it’s pointless. I’ve got the interior assembled and kinda figured out how I’m going to light this and run the wiring out the pod into the base. I’ve also started working on the base and figured out how I’m going to display the pod, which ties into what I needed to know to assemble the exterior walls to the interior walls, which would have been nice to see a good instruction sheet of the assembly, etc., etc., etc…just sayin – damn crappy ass instructions!  :P

If you plan on lighting this, assembly is essentially from the bottom up and here’s why. The sequencer is designed to mount to the fusion core and then get sandwiched between the fusion core and lower hull with the wiring running up into the lower hull. Well….it doesn’t fit, so I cut out a circular hole in the lower hull to give me that extra mm or two. You can see in the pics that the bulbs just don’t let it set down properly, it might have fit if you hacked up the inner clear ring to give that extra clearance, but I didn’t do that. Maybe if Ralph uses a flat bulb it might fit better? You also need to trench thru one of the support ribs on the inside of the lower hull so the floor will sit flush with the hull.

The fusion core is painted in the same flat silver I’ve shot the hull pieces in. I’ve hazed up the clear lenses for the fusion core. I didn’t want to see the bulbs of lighting circuit thru it, so I took some 600 grit wet n dry and gave it a good scuffing up both inside and out. I know some peeps have used either acetone or some type of thinner to haze clear plastic, the thinner I have didn’t do it so I went with sanding it. If someone knows, I’d be glad to hear from you – I’ll keep it in my bag of tricks for when I get around to building the J2.

After I hot glued the sequencer into the fusion core, I did a light test and didn’t like what I saw. There was so much light bleed over from the surrounding bulbs that I had a lot of panes lighting up in the fusion core at once. That crisp focused light emitting from two panes wasn’t there. To compensate for this, I made up individual vanes for the inside of the fusion core and glued them to every second pane. This allocated the light from one bulb to every two panes on the fusion core. The effect is much better now…I’m happy  ;D

Also, I plan on running some fiber optic down to a few bulbs and capture the light off individual bulbs to provide a blinking effect to some of my control panels. This way I don’t have to install another board to give me a random blinking effect. More on this when I get there, here’s some pics of the interior and fusion core work.

Thanks for following,
L.

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 11:49:54 pm »
WOW, looking awesome!!!!!!

Enterprise © Bloc