Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 800mm 3d printed Sulaco  (Read 455 times)

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
Re: 800mm 3d printed Sulaco
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 09:25:52 am »
I've finished printing! (except for 1 reprint for a piece i broke)
Most of the week has been tweaking and reprinting parts that had fit issues, or missing bits, or to make changes like adding holes for mounting on the base etc etc. And i think i'm happy with it. Theres a few places that need extra detail, but that will be added with styrene as they're things like piping, or small greebly detail.

At the moment its all screwed together, tape in some places, or tiny drops of glue to test the fit. And i think its all good!
Next is disassembly, sand/putty/prime/sand/putty/prime.... you all know the drill!

(apology for the pic quality, quick phone snaps)

Engines, these will be getting lots of styrene rod/tube/strips to add plumbing.

Underneath (i havent attached the other pylon thing)

Front end. Still has some styrene antenna to add, also some piping/greebly detail on the flat areas. Also needs some cleanup on the antenna still, they're straight off the printer and just on for test fitting.

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 07:23:07 pm »
I have a question about 3D printing in general. How easy is it to sand the printing
Phil

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 08:40:16 pm »
No dramas at all, same as any other plastic.
Amount of sanding required just depends on the quality of the printed part.

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 10:51:58 pm »
Barring any changes i might make, it ended up being 146 parts, took 92 hours of printer time, and weighs 1039gm.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:09:43 am by Kingbob »

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 06:07:29 am »
Been busy sanding for a few days, and started proper assembly with glue this evening.
Made changes to 2 parts and re-printing them at the moment, so design-wise i think its done!
Hoping to have it assembled/puttied/primed/etc by the weekend so i can start adding little styrene details for panels, piping etc etc.

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 04:07:19 am »
Fully built!
I decided to go light on the extra styrene details, just a few panels, strips here and there, plus a bunch of small greeblies from my model leftovers box. I also found a photo etch set from a sherman tank that i no longer have so have put various pieces of that here and there, to add detail, break up flat areas etc. Hard to see in these pics given the size of the ship.
But i decided i wanted to keep it close to plain 3d printed. Is it 100% super screen accurate? Hell no. But does it look like what its meant to be? Yep, good enough for me.
Now she's ready for paint!

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 08:41:23 am »
Love it!

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 04:06:43 am »
Gave her a flat black base coat this evening.
That highlighted a few spots where i hadnt sanded it smooth properly, which you can see here mainly on the side panel of the engine section. So once the paint is dry i'll sand that bit, and smooth it out with some thin putty. A few little scratches here and there that need the same attention, but not a lot.

Enterprise © Bloc