Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 800mm 3d printed Sulaco  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
Re: 800mm 3d printed Sulaco
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2019, 11:09:28 pm »
How hard can it be to paint "U.S.S."????? Except of course when its only about 5mm tall! Far out.

Gonna have to order some decal transfer film for printing I think, do it that way.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:16:25 pm by Kingbob »

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 08:28:02 am »
It is remarkably difficult to take a pic of a ship that is shaded in light grey, medium grey, dark grey, neutral grey, german grey, sky grey, ijn grey, nato black, rubschwarz, tire black, oil black, and who knows how many variations thereof...

I painted over the SULACO logo, it was too big, and i couldnt do the "USS" part small and neat enough. So i've ordered some printer decal sheet so i can print it and do it as a decal. Once thats on and ive blended it in, i think it'll be finished. Then i'll try and get some good photos under good light. In the meantime, these are pretty close, though dont quite show the shading as well as they should.

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 09:17:56 pm »
LOVE IT!

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2019, 04:59:32 am »
FFS, i got some clear decal paper for inkjet printers, the kind from Bare-Metal, scaled and printed the ships name, printed fine.
Sprayed on a fixative lacquer as they suggest, all good. Once dry i put it in water to soften the decal... and as i lift it out the ink just falls off!

They do suggest using Microscale Liquid Decal Film specifically, but other articles online say any clear lacquer will do. Guess not!

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2019, 09:55:53 pm »
I think I used lacquer clear coat, usually 3 light coats before dunking them in water, I have been able to use them off of an ink jet in the past.  I think I used the Testers paper.

Cheers,
James

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2019, 10:35:40 pm »
I couldnt find the Liquid Decal Film locally, but i did find Testors Decal Bonder Spray, which is supposedly the same thing. About to try it.

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2019, 11:00:35 pm »
The testors decal bonder spray seems to have worked. The decal film is a bit thick though, and i still need to put some decal setting solution on it, then do some spraying to make it more matte, and tone down the black a bit.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 07:47:25 am »
This looks awesome, Your Majesty!

I tried the testers bonding spray and it ate my decals. Happy to read your's worked well.

When you write about the film being a bit thick, do you mean the decal film? I ordered some clear decal sheets here and found they were excellent for achieving a painted on look.

Just a thought!

Keep going as this is an awesome build.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2019, 01:35:52 am »
Well i completely ballsed up the Sulaco decal. When i put a matte clearcoat over it, it would up with white tide marks around it, possibly some kind of reaction to decalset. I grabbed the airbrush to try and tidy them up, but ended ruining the definition of the text on the decal.

In the end i sanded it back and repainted the grey.

I was sitting there thinking:
"Damn i cant cut the USS letters small enough, and the bigger letters dont necessarily come out well when cut either. Wish i had a sticker cutting machine so i could cut a nice mask"
And then like an idiot i facepalmed when i realised, i could have just used the 3d printer to print a paint mask! So thats what i've done, but havent had time to paint it yet. This ship name is literally the only thing holding it back from being finished!

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2019, 01:37:00 am »
I have also decided to freely share the STL files for those who want to print their own :)

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 08:27:36 am »
Well i'm as happy as i'm going to get with the name i think. The "USS" is a little larger than i'd like at 5mm. But i can live with it.
Now just need to do a little bit of panel painting around it, and it'll be finished!

Offline Kingbob

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2019, 08:51:57 am »
800mm of Colonial Marine badassery!

I just need to add a bit of panel shading around the name, and she's done! And will take some decent photos on the weekend, hopefully get a starry night and take it outside.

Offline Decoman

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2019, 07:50:01 am »
Very nice seeing photos with these shadows.

I think the charm of "greeble" in the old days where the shadow casting thingies on models. Now, people things models with an erratic pattern on them is interesting to look at, terrible :O

Enterprise © Bloc