Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Light blocking clear parts  (Read 198 times)

Offline karve

• Admiral
Light blocking clear parts
« on: January 27, 2019, 05:13:57 am »
Hi all
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, and I'm sure it's been covered several times before, but I need to know....what's the best/most effective way to light block clear parts?
  My Battlestar Galactica has a big clear part at the back for the engines and a significant portion of it needs to be light blocked.
  I've tried doing this on a couple builds and have never had any real success.
Is it just a question of layer upon layer of paint until it works (which will eventually diminish the detail)? Is there one brand of paint that is better at it than others? Is there a secret technique I haven't heard about?

Thanks in advance.  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 06:23:19 am by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
Re: Light blocking clear parts
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 10:04:10 am »
The best way is to light block it from the inside of the part before assembly.  If that's possible in your case I would do that.  A ton of primer will do it.  Or black paint works too.  I think the primer is a bit thicker though.

If it can't be blocked from the inside I would probably use a coat of black, then more coats of the base color.  You are right though, more paint means less detail.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline Decoman

• Captain
Re: Light blocking clear parts
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 04:20:09 am »
Maybe alu foil would work nicely, if having some proper adhesive.

Enterprise © Bloc