Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Let's Stay Together - Being Here & Starting a Blog  (Read 549 times)

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
Let's Stay Together - Being Here & Starting a Blog
« on: January 29, 2019, 04:24:09 am »
Hi, Everyone!

Google+'s closure will be causing lots of short-term community fragmentation and confusion.  But that doesn't mean we all have to split apart and disappear.  Let's stay together!

For me, I will continue to contribute here on this forum as I have done for many years.  I have also started a Google Blogger page called The Model Stash (https://themodelstash.blogspot.com/) so that I can keep on posting the type of modeling and general information that I've tended to share over the last few years and keep that data permanently for myself at the same time.  Setting up a blog site through Google Blogger is actually fairly quick and easy, and I encourage everyone to do this as well.

If anyone is interested, my first blog post is here: https://themodelstash.blogspot.com/2019/01/google-is-closing-but-lets-stay-together.html.  Comments here and on the blog are welcome.

:)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

The Model Stash Blog: https://themodelstash.blogspot.com/

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline Aircool

• Ensign
Re: Let's Stay Together - Being Here & Starting a Blog
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 05:32:25 am »
Oooh.  A new format to work out.  Greetings all.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:40:36 am »
Great idea.  Hi ya Alon.
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 10:59:56 am »
Great idea G!
Iain

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 02:31:40 pm »
Indeed, I have a fledgling blogspot set up myself (in my signature), but this site, and its upcoming "successor" will definitely be where I post everything I do.
My fledgling blog and YouTube page:
https://spencersscifimodels.blogspot.com/
http://youtube.com/c/SpencerWolfe

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."
- Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Jay Dee

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:09:46 pm »
Hi Everyone, Just come over from the Google+ Site.
Jay Dee is here !!!

Offline modelerx

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 10:20:58 pm »
Hello - I'm now here at the rendezvous point before the autodestruct goes off at G+

Offline Decoman

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 06:22:43 am »
I think it is very unfortunate that the blog doesn't allow comments from everybody, unless they have a google account.
I am aware of spam issues, and issues with annoying captcha tests, though one way to limit the effort into gardening ones blog could be to put a time limit on comments, or just try look into remedies for avoiding bot spam from getting to ones blog and such, or just do some casual gardening of bot spam and such without it being anything near tedious.
In this sense I think the world is going backwards by various websites and newspapers removing casual commenting, and then I won't go into what I think is wrong with so called "moderation" on the internet, which imo isn't what it seems to be.

Something I remember from building websites, is that some information ought to be hidden from bots trawing through your website. For example, instead of literally typing critical information in text, that can be picked up by a website crawler, you could put the info in an image instead. Presumably, having such critical information readable to bots on ones website is one thing that makes bot show they appearance in the first place, though I am no expert on this subject matter. Simply trusting ones own blog site to secure your interest in this regard is something one can't hope for I think. It has been a while since I dabbled with webdesign, so things are more complicated now, or different I would think. Ofc, the internet in general probably has useful information for understanding and maybe resolving such problems that is related to basic security and bot spam.

One thing that seems like a MUST, is making use of basic transport layer encryption. Being TLS encryption. It is a limited form of security, but should secure safe transport of data from regular people. The whole system of digital certificates, is afaik (though I am no expert), is based on trust, and occasionally, it has been shown that use of digital certificates has been abused. Presumably, anyone having the private key for a digital certificate used for encrypting the communication to a website, will be able to view and potentially alter the content of data moving around the internet, presumably such activities would be limited to state actors, or anyone that somehow can abuse the system of digital certificates. This is imo a fairly well known problem. In any case, it is better to have TLS encryption for ones website, than not. In recent years, several scandals has shown that the TLS standard and the implementation of the standard, has been so bad, it compromised the basic security. Imo, generally speaking, the state of network security overall, is, and has been just terrible. Unless I am remembering things wrong here, tech people testifying to US congress has characterized network security as 'garbage'.

Computer security, with respect to cryptography, tend to rely on symmetric and asymmetric encryption.
Symmetric encryption is iirc encryption that encrypts some stuff, and then one same key is used to decrypt the content. Good for encryption lots of content in one go.

Then, there is something called 'public key cryptography' and 'Diffie-Hellman key exchange'. Asymmetric encryption would be used for either encrypting "stuff", or for establishing secure communications. You would use one key to encrypt data (the 'private key'), but then, you would have a second key to allow anyone to view the encrypted content (the 'public key'). The private key in this respect, is what would be used to create and also authenticate your own encrypted content, while the public key allows everybody to read your encrypted content. As an ideal, it is required that you keep the private key secret to yourself, always, and then the public key can be shown to the public for everybody to see. The security for the math for 'public key cryptography'/'diffie-hellman key exchange', rely on the problem of factoring of large prime numbers to remain a 'hard problem'. Any issue with the implementation would be a different aspect to security (the implementation often the flawed thing with security when something is supposed to be secure, but somehow isn't).

In order to effectively share encrypted content, the sender and receiver would make use of the same keys for a session, unless security is improved by what is called 'ephemeral diffie-hellman key exchange', in which the shared key is only used one (ideally). Diffie-Helman key exchange is said to have been invented by Whitfield Diffie, Martin Hellman and Ralph Merkle. It is also claimed that UK's intelligence also came up with the idea around the same time.

Diffie-Hellman key exchange math explained below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-0qt6tdHzk

TLS website encryption process is automated by your browser based on the chosen digital certificate used for your website, so it isn't that you have to safeguard any private key yourself, unless you create your own digital certificate (I think). I guess, but I am no expert, other such encryption is automated by use of random numbers, which only works if you trust both the code and also the impelmentation if all.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 07:19:10 am by Decoman »

Offline Space Cadet

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 05:52:31 pm »
Hello, just transferred over from the G+. Using anew call sign but most of you will recognize me by Alan Blind. Cool idea but not sure I'll do Google Blogger.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 07:27:01 am »
Welcome Aboard, Ya'll!

Looking forward to your posts and builds!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Enterprise © Bloc