Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A few questions about washes and weathering in general  (Read 207 times)

Offline karve

• Admiral
A few questions about washes and weathering in general
« on: February 04, 2019, 04:22:51 pm »
Hi all

I have a couple questions about washes and weathering. I have never done it so I want to make sure I have the basics straight. I'm in the process of doing the Moebius Battlestar Galactica and I want to weather it .

1) To make a wash using vallejo acrylic paint for example, from what I'm seeing on you tube it looks like all it takes is about a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of water to paint. Is it that simple? I've seen a reference or two to adding a bit of dish detergent. Any thoughts?
2) Do I need to clear coat before doing a wash?
3) Once the wash is dry I have read that I need to clear coat before doing any dry brushing. Correct?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys  :)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:37:57 pm by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
Re: A few questions about washes and weathering in general
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:14:09 pm »
If you are going to make a wash out of Vallejo I would use the Vallejo thinner not water, you will get a much better result.

However acrylic washes are a little harder to work with as they dry really quick.

I would suggest getting the washes from AK-interactive or Ammo. They are enamel based and come in a wide range of colours and are so easy to use and clean up because the drying time is so much greater, you get more time to manipulate it.

Putting on  a gloss clear coat first will protect the base colour and make the wash flow over the area better as well as it will protect the paint if you need to remove the wash to start again.

All ways protect the previous layer with a clear coat before putting on the next layer. Again if you need to remove the top layer, the layers underneath will be protected.

Hope this helps.
Scott.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 06:00:59 am »
Hey Kevin, good advice from Scott above.  I also use the AMMO by Mig enamel washes and even those I will dilute with a good quality enamel thinner.  One point of clarification ~~ you want to use either a gloss or satin clear coat over your base coat and in-between successive washes to get the wash to freely flow into all your panel lines and details as well as protect the underlying layer.  I generally like a satin varnish (again AMMO) and the appearance it yields with my washes and other weathering products.

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 02:47:51 pm »
Thanks so much for the advice guys.

I've never used enamel paint...at least not since I started up again model building a few years ago. I'll investigate  ;D
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 11:07:52 am »
I make some washes from oil paints (about $5 a tube at Hobby Lobby) and mineral spirits. Yes, put on over a clear coat. It's very easy to manipulate and clean away any mistakes. It's also easy to get the exact color and want.

Enterprise © Bloc