Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building the U.S.S. Orville ECV-197 (3D printing project)  (Read 259 times)

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
Building the U.S.S. Orville ECV-197 (3D printing project)
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:03:25 pm »
Hey guys and galls, guess who's at it again making his life harder than it needs to be?       Indeed Me!  ;D
"Prologue"

After having build my Voyager Mk2 (off which you all still deserve the video of the final unveiling but that later) i stopped model building for a short while and focussed myself on the 3D printing aspect of my life. I sold my homebrew machine and opted to get 2 original Prusa machines one with the multi material upgrade, to fully invest into the 3D printing world and even demonstrated 3D printing at a local hobby fair in my country. Having printed and build all sorts of smaller projects, (non scifi related) life was good.

And then a few weeks ago the Orville came back with the second season and being a fan of the show i started watching and again wishing there would be a model to build to shine next to my Voyager on the dresser. So i wen't searching and remembered an old topic from here stating a resin kit was in development, so i followed up on that and found that it had come and gone. No stock, a much higher price then i was willing to pay for it and the real let down, the engine loops could not be lighted as they were solid.  :(

Well a few weeks past since the search and i had all but given up. Thingiverse had a few models of the Orville, but only one was good looking and even then it was not perfect as the description stated. Also i had started my "career" of model building with a 3D printed Runabout shuttle, and to be honest, i liked it for the time, but if i would make an Orville ship, i wanted it to be lit up like Voyager. So not only engines and nav lights, i wanted interior lighting as well.  :-\

Still i could not let it go, this itch was not going away...      I need to do something and like with finding a way to motorize the pylons, need to find a way to make a model of the ship, with lights in the engine loops, interior lights and nav lights. So far in my research i have not come across any anti collision lights on the Orville, and also the nav lights are static. So not much animation going on unfortunately.

"Building the Orville"

My goals for this project:
- Print a high quality model with as much detail as possible with FDM printing
- Light up the interior (windows)
- Light up the nav lights on the side of the main hull and middle engine loop
- Light up the 3 quantum drive units on the enige loops
- Power it of mains but have the ship detachable, like my other builds
- Size : about 48 cm long (18,9 inch)

After first printing a small 27 cm (10,6 inch) test model to see how detailed the thingiverse design was i quickly noted that i needed to scale the ship up to a larger size for the final build. Also i would need to hollow out the ship somehow and need to do something about the engine loops, as these are really thin and there is no way led tape is going to fit in there. And this was a real bummer for me, because until now i wanted to use addressable led's like with Voyager, to try and animate the going to quantum speed of the Orville in the show. No never going to happen, so net best thing, just light them in static mode.

My first attempt at hollowing out the model is based on the print settings. Instead of using an outer shell of 0.8 mm and an infill of let's say 20%, i opted to go with a shell of 4 perimeters or 1.6 mm thickness and 0% infill. For this to work, i cut the model into pieces that would need to be glued together like a normal kit build.

The windows i then drilled out manually with a hand drill, but i have to say i don't like the way the windows turned out, as first off all they are round, and on the show they are square. (and PLA plastic is harder to cut or file into squares then styrene) Also my placing of the holes is a bit random in places, so its not nicely aligned as i would have liked.

For the engine loops, i could not use the 0% infill method, as this would still result in a closed section instead of the grills look. So i tried some software to modify the STL model and hollow it out that way, and then redesign the grille to be open. Doing this was.a pain in my back, and in the end it did not work as i wanted. The idea was to place 2 blue led's one on each side of the grille and illuminate the entire section, but this gave almost no light. (i used a 0805 smd led to test, as this is the only type small enough to go inside the loop.

Design version 2 for the loops, resulted in me getting rid of the grille for now and just making a cavity to glue 6 smd led's in place inside the place where the grille will be located. The wires then run down the loop into the body. The new grille's i want to print from blue translucent petg plastic, like in my 1:1000 enterprise refit build and they will then cover the 6 led's and try to defuse them at the same time. No idea yet if this will work.

As for the windows, i already told you i don't like what i have so far, but to get this better, i will need to hollow out the main body and then modify the design files themselves to cut out the windows like i did with the engine loops. And i am for now not sure if i will be able to get this done.

For now i want to leave you with some pictures of the progress so far. Including the hand drilled windows that i "hate" and one section of the loop that has the 6 led's in place. but not lit up yet. As there is no grille to cover it for effect.

I will keep you posted on this new and barking mad endeavor.

And as always, have questions, tips comments. Post them i love to hear from you all.

Greetings, Spekkie. (Patrick)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:26:20 pm by Cpt-Spekkie »
3D printing enthusiast - Model making noob - SciFi fanatic
Previous builds: 2x Revell Voyager, one with motorized pylons, Polar lights Enterprise refit 1:1000
Currently building the U.S.S. Orville ECV-197 (3D printing project)

Offline Father Cool

• Lieutenant
Re: Building the U.S.S. Orville ECV-197 (3D printing project)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 06:31:10 am »
Looking great so far. The print has come out well for FDM.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 11:28:25 am »
Really cool project.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:22:36 pm »
anyone else think the Orville has a lot in common with that Vulcan ship from Nemesis?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:28:08 pm »
Before i start the update thank you for the kind comments. And Yes Scottminium, i see a similarity to the jellyfish ship of Spock although the engine rings are a lot different then that spinning backend.

And then now on to the update:

I left you guys with some pictures of my first print attempt with hand drilled holes for the windows and boy did i hate the look of those. The original has squire windows and although normally we drill2 holes and then make them square with a scalpel and file, these windows are smaller and thus impossible to do so. Also manually positioning the drill bit resulted in uneven looking windows which i hated even more then the fact they were round. Result? In the bin with those parts and find a way to print the windows in a second attempt.

Modifying STL files is difficult if the facets are in the large numbers and trust me for the Orville they are very high, but with the combination of using Fusion 360, Meshmixer, Tinkercad and Blender i managed to pull it off. And i tried to incorporate as much of the windows as i could from the pictures i found. Unfortunately my model is not entirely accurate in the neck section where it swoops down to the lower decks and shuttle bay. In the model i found the swoop is to steep and is missing the details for adding the windows that should be there. For this attempt however i will leave that as is. Maybe i will revisit this in a newer build down the line in time.

Furthermore i found out that lighting up the engine rings was going to be a nightmare, using 1 led from each side to shine inwards would not work. Much to dim for it to be even in brightness and shine. So the only solution i found was using 6 smd led's per engine loop and placing them directly in place to shine outward. this ment however to remove the grille features to get access for the led's. In the pictures you will see later on the slots where these led's zit are still open, but in reality i've filled up the space with transparant silicone (scraped it to be flush with the model when it was still wet) and let it dry in place. This results in a nice solid transparant layer to protect the led's and also defuse the light somewhat. But now i still need to find a way to remake the engine details to get the grille effect back. Luckily if i look at the original studio model, the grille effect is on top of the loops and not inside as it was on my model, so this would result in a better match with the real deal if i get it designed the right way.
(Want to try and make it a 2 part print with transparant plastic and slid for the parts that should not light up. and place that over the silicone slots)

Before i make those though, i decided to start the painting process. The model has a base coat of light gray (same as i used on Voyager) and i have now started hand painting the darker panels. Although that has not been photographed yet, as i need a little more time, to make some progress on that.

As always, i welcome any feedback, questions and/or tips.
Greetings Spekkie (Patrick)
Previous builds: 2x Revell Voyager, one with motorized pylons, Polar lights Enterprise refit 1:1000

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 10:08:47 am »
Patrick,

I watch the series whenever there is a new one broadcast; especially after the Kaylon invasion episodes.

I have always been impressed with their use of a physical model for the exterior space and ship shots instead of a CGI model. I think Seth MacFarlane did this intentionally so people like us, particularly you, would want to make a scale model! Way to give into your inner geek/nerd! (I like that! It reminds me of "me"!)

Your build is more than doing the production model justice! Outstanding craftsmanship!

Keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 05:44:00 pm »
How the heck did you create the 3D drawings to base the prints on????
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 05:56:24 pm »
Hey Steve , thank you for the kind words.

And @scott, i wish i was so talented as to design / draw the model from scratch. No i found the model on Thingiverse a website where people share 3D models for 3D printing.
Link to the model, so the credit for the design goes to the person called Oranhunter there.
I did however alter his design to hollow it out, and cut out the windows, so that the model would be more usable for our/ my goals.

Designing my own models is something i try to do, and useful perimetric parts are doable. But organic shapes like the Orville or a other ships is still beyond my capabilities.

Enterprise © Bloc