Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weird/Bogus Accounts  (Read 583 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Weird/Bogus Accounts
« on: March 02, 2019, 02:06:24 am »
Howdy all.

I hope I am wrong in this but being off work with one good arm gives me time to sit about and generally try everything to stave off boredom. In view of those "bot" accounts that have surfaced I have noticed (at the last count 11) accounts that are always showing online at the bottom of the page. I first noticed when I saw "new" members so I thought I would see where they are from (TBH - was looking to see if anyone was from the UK) and all with few exceptions had signed up on the 5th/6th of January and the only difference was the first 5-6 letters of the email all of which are from Outlook.
There are no posts whatsoever from any which I thought was weird so just wondering if the site was at risk.
Iain

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: Weird/Bogus Accounts
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 11:51:43 am »
The bots always post 2x.  The posts are separated by only a few minutes, and are always nonsense about "information"  nonsense. 

The latest pair is in filipino, and is the same stuff.

They are getting annoying.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:48:23 am »
I hate being bored with only one good arm.

Still - it does mean I do have time to research topics and I have looked into all these bogus/ghost accounts that are easily seen at the bottom left of the main page and without exception they "all" come back as either spam, phishing emails, blocked emails and certainly being used by Cyber criminals and all are blacklisted so to me it looks like we have a potentially serious problem. I am a complete computer numpty so I have no idea what can, if anything be done but I have passed the information I have gathered to Boyd to keep him informed and aware of what's going on.

Like I have said - it's the ex-cop in me.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:52:15 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 04:51:11 pm »
Yep, just spotted a couple from username "Carmelita". Popped up today just before 3:00 PM.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 08:02:25 am »
Bots and phishers are always a concern.

I read one of Boyd's recent posts indicating he was aware of the issue and this problem is one of the reasons he is moving to the new platform. I am not sure what his current hardware or software is, but if he updates the hardware and the OS software, it may improve the resistance to the false accounts.

I think a more robust router and firewall would help, too; that and a current AVOS would certainly help. Trouble is, this hardware and software doesn't come cheap. So, I understand why Boyd was toying with the idea of a subscription membership to the site; it would have helped finance the upgrade.

BUT, this is an outsider's view looking in; I have no insight beyond speculation.

For the moment, the Bots seem to be more of an annoyance to the public face of the site. A case could be made that, in the automatic acceptance of the Bot accounts, malicious software could be given a foothold to data mine the site. Dunno. The best defense is to deny them access to personal information or access to personal sites; cybersecurity 101. On the other hand, overly restrictive security measures could defeat the purpose of this community - communication about a hobby which we all enjoy.

Again, speculation! This opinion and $4.50 will get you cup of coffee.  ::)

Be safe and always use protection! (Firewalls and encryption software, you filthy animals!) :D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Enterprise © Bloc