Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The SFMA forums will close at the end of April, 2019  (Read 454 times)

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
The SFMA forums will close at the end of April, 2019
« on: March 02, 2019, 03:25:35 pm »
Hello all,

I have an update for you on the status of the SFMA forum and the new replacement.

The new site will go live in a week or so and I'll be posting the link info here and all over the boards
about how to find it. There will be specific modeling forum genres you can click on such as military, scifi, automotive,
figures etc to make it easy to navigate around. There will also be a general discussion area where all modeling subjects
are welcome. The forums will function pretty much the same way they have here. My plan is to archive the entire SFMA
database which you will be able to revisit anytime on the new site. This might not be done yet by the time the new site
launches but it will shortly. Hoping for the same with the Google community.

SFMA will shut down on the last day of April, 2019. I hope all of our members here will make the transition and continue
to share and contribute as they always have. This is a bittersweet announcement as the SFMA forum has been awesome over the last 7 years due to the character of it's members. However, the new platform is much better technically, being easier to manage
and will be all inclusive for modelers of all interests.  This will help to ensure our continued growth and provide a better experience
for our members when using the forums.

Also, the new website will remain completely free to use for all members. I had considered a premium option for extra content
but have since scrapped the idea. There will be instead, a button on the main page to donate voluntarily to support the site
and it's activities. All proceeds will be used to further develop the site and help fund some special events that are being planned.

I want to again say a big thanks to all of the members here for your efforts and support since 2012. Let's keep that spirit
alive and well moving forward!

Boyd/TrekWorks
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
Re: The SFMA forums will close at the end of April, 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 03:31:13 pm »
Looking forward to it Boyd.   Sounds like an awesome place to be.

Shawn.
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline philco36

• Commander
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow - Uriah Heep
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 03:48:59 pm »
And the human adventure continues!

Phil

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:48:11 pm »
MODEL BUILDING !!!

love it.

Cheers  Boyd! ;)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 06:16:01 pm »
Sounds exciting Boyd! I'm looking forward to the new board. :)
For the fun of building art.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 01:17:55 am »
Can't wait for the move to the new site.

Might actually get the incentive to start some of the Sukhoi jet kits I have now.
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 08:26:12 pm »
Egg salent!  Ready for the move!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 01:59:40 pm »
Thanks for the update Boyd...   cya around the corner......

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline Kenny Conklin

• Ensign
    • Hobby Link International
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 09:51:22 pm »
can't wait to see the new place Boyd!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 08:31:12 am »
Good news, Boyd!

Looking forward to the move!

Steve/MSgtUSAFRet
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Dogs Bollocks

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 03:48:03 pm »
What are the odds all of the original content from here will transfer over to the new site?
If there is any chance at all it could get nuked, I

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 03:47:27 pm »
As I mentioned in the notice my plan is to move the entire data base from SFMA over to the new site as an archive. Members won't be able to post in there anymore but can still view all of the content. Ongoing threads here now can continue at the new site.
I noted in my first post on this a couple of months ago, that due to switching sites should something go wrong with saving the info here
that members should act to save any pictures posted on the threads that were important to them on their own as a precaution.

Rest assured that I won't be careless when we make the move and  SFMA won't close down before the new site is functioning
properly. If I have difficulty in saving the archive, I'm sure I'll get some help to figure it out.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 11:37:41 am »
Thank you for the hard work Boyd. 

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 07:34:15 pm »
Totally stoked for the new digs!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 12:32:41 am »
Been lurking in the shadows a few years now with almost no posts (work, life, all gets in the way but my stash remains!). I still remember when SFMA went live and we hit the 50 member mark! Great work over the years to everyone in keeping this community wholesome and inviting to modelers of all skill levels and inclinations. When the new forums go up, I'll keep lurking and being envious of all the work folks are doing until I can get back at it myself!

Sad to see SFMA go, but glad to see that you are working to keep the community together.

~JimmyPop57

I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Enterprise © Bloc