Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Community Website Update  (Read 220 times)

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
New Community Website Update
« on: March 28, 2019, 05:37:04 am »
Hello all,

Just another update and some more details about our move to a new community website and forum.
Everything is going well and I'm hoping that wer'e down to just a few days before the site will go live.
I think you will find it much easier to navigate through and and be smoother over all. It's definitely going to look
more up to date with a brighter more open feel to it. I'm using SFMA as a guide to the content that will be there
initially. In other word's, the topics that were popular here will be there as well. The main difference is now there are
categories for all of the modeling genres and not just scifi. It will look kind of empty until it begins to fill in with all of the
posts building up going forward (That's going to be your job) :)

I'm making a video that you'll be able to click, that will show an on screen demo of the basic functions and how to navigate
around the new site. You'll see it there after you register and can watch it anytime.

In the meantime, SFMA will stay online until such time as I determine that the new site is fully broken in and working properly.
This will take until the end of April. During that time, SFMA will fully function as always. However, once I'm sure the new site
is ok, SFMA will remain online but the threads will be locked from that point forward. What is the reason for this?
Firstly, locking the threads will encourage everyone to move over to the new site. Second, Simply locking the SFMA threads
instead of shutting down totally will ensure nothing is lost and I have plenty of time to work
on archiving it and eventually posting it onto the new site for reference.

Just a hint of what you'll see there are the per usual ongoing model building threads, product news, building tips etc,
but also renewed community activities such as organized group builds, featured videos from various modelers and more
info and support for local model shows and get togethers etc. In all some pretty exciting stuff!

I've appreciated all of your questions and input along the way and will continue to do so. I'm doing my best to make this a smooth
transition and also one that put's the community in a much better place going forward. Certainly for the former Google community
members who won't have to worry about it constantly changing or closing down anymore.

That's about it. Look for a link for our new home to be posted here soon and I'm looking forward to seeing you over at our
new digs :)

Boyd/TrekWorks
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:39:20 am by TrekWorks »
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline Dogs Bollocks

• Ensign
Re: New Community Website Update
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:36:08 am »
Super excited for the new site! Thanks for all of your efforts, Boyd. Out of interest, is there a new name for the forum as yet?
AllModelAction.com might not get the kind of users you were intending!  ???

Offline Natzfan

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 10:51:06 am »
Hey Boyd, quick question. I'm about to start my model building thread. Should I start it here, now or wait until the new site is up?

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 12:38:01 pm »
Was about to ask the same thing Natzfan so will be watching this one closely.
Iain

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 02:33:03 am »
Naturally I'm going to suggest the new site ;) Seriously, this site will close at the end of this month and be a read only
archive. And oh did I mention that the new site is up :)

You can find it here : http://www.the-modelshop.com/

Enjoy!
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline krieg.17

• Admiral
  • FIRE!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 09:21:19 am »
Awesome job Boyd!
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

Enterprise © Bloc