Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Acquisitions  (Read 317071 times)

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
Re: New Acquisitions
« Reply #2175 on: October 13, 2018, 04:02:58 pm »
You're going to love that spray gun. I have one similar to it. Very easy to use.
You do need a tank on your compressor though to provide enough air for it.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2176 on: October 15, 2018, 06:18:38 am »
It does look good Cameron.

Like I said there will need to some practice sessions first before I let it loose on my 1/350 refit build.
Iain

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #2177 on: October 15, 2018, 06:58:18 am »
Am I right in that the box says 8 cubic feet per minute? I can see it's a HVLP, but that seems like quite a lot.
Is that when it's full open? What kind of compressor are you using?

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2178 on: October 15, 2018, 12:03:01 pm »
It does indeed Spencer.

Like I said I have some practice to put in before going anywhere near my refit and my compressor has a 3litre tank.

Well! I got home to find a very large box waiting for me and this one is all down to my Eleanor as she spent a fortune whilst we were in Turkey and she kept going on at me to get this model and here it is.

Even the box is huge and definately bigger than the refit box.

Going to be a fun "wee" build.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2179 on: October 23, 2018, 01:15:55 pm »
Another wee Russian jet to add to the collection (I really need to get around to getting some Migs).

This is the Kinetic Models 1/48 SU-33 Flanker D.

Iain

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2180 on: October 24, 2018, 11:22:01 am »
Update: Warning, the boxes I bought, are so hard to open, they are not practical to use. :( Also, the first drill bit I tried, seemed very dull. Bad purchase I think.

After I started drilling out the blaster cannons on this 1:72 scale X-Wing, I broke a tiny drill bit. Since then I kept buying sets of drill bits.

And so today I got 3 of these boxes in the mailbox. :) It is tricky telling the different bits apart, so I think I ought to put on some masking tape around the drill bits that are either half size or full size, in order to avoid mixing them up by mistake.

Drill bit sizes from 0.3 and 0.35, etc, up to 1.6 mm.

In other news: The horror of eBay. Somehow all the scale model kits I ordered from the city of Guangzhou China, ends up being returned to seller (seven scale model kits, two of them have been successfully refunded so far). Scam is suspected in all these cases, as if seller gets the package back, while speculating that the buyer will be so annoyed, or forgetting to arrange for having a refund after all this mess, and having to wait maybe two months in order to get to ask for a refund from eBay. Also, there is a small loss of money I suspect on each purchase, the fees that are added on each purchase in foreign currency.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:03:59 am by Decoman »

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2181 on: October 25, 2018, 02:08:55 pm »
After I started drilling out the blaster cannons on this 1:72 scale X-Wing, I broke a tiny drill bit. Since then I kept buying sets of drill bits.

And so today I got 3 of these boxes in the mailbox. :) It is tricky telling the different bits apart, so I think I ought to put on some masking tape around the drill bits that are either half size or full size, in order to avoid mixing them up by mistake.

Drill bit sizes from 0.3 and 0.35, etc, up to 1.6 mm.

I find it difficult to find quality drills in these small sizes. When you magnify the cutting end and really look at it up close you usually find it wasn't ground to a proper cutting edge at all, but looking more like someone took a chop saw to it. Incorrectly ground drill points lead to a lot of problems and broken drills.

Even with good quality drills folks still have breakage issues if they don't be careful to keep the tool straight, or run it too fast which is easy to do. Plastic melts very quickly with heat and will bake onto the tool. This clogs the flutes so that the next shavings cannot exit the hole and the drill snaps off. Most dremel type tools have way too much R.P.M. for even the smallest drills and will melt the plastic.

Until you get a slower drill motor (I.E. Tamiya "Handy Drill" kit), you can decrease the tendency of melting plastic onto your drill bits by using a light oil as a lubricant. I have used vegetable oil and olive oil with high speed drill motors with very good results. Makes for a small mess as the lube spatters about, but your drills will survive the job.

Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2182 on: October 26, 2018, 08:22:41 am »
I broke my drill bit because I dropped the whole Tamiya hand drilling tool onto the floor. :|

Other stuff I've ordered today:
AGAMA METALLIC PASTES from Czech Republic online (I haven't tried this Agama stuff before). I have seen ppl on youtube applying this with a cotton bud and smearing/polishing parts this way.

Steel
Copper
Gold
Bronze
Browned metal

Thinner liquid for Agama metallic pastes (25ml)

Position light template (melting sprue and squeezing the melted plastic into a template to shape the plastic)

I noticed only recently that some plates of Eduard photo etch have holes for shaping melted plastic, into bolt heads. :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 07:48:33 am by Decoman »

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #2183 on: October 28, 2018, 08:44:06 am »
Even with good quality drills folks still have breakage issues if they don't be careful to keep the tool straight, or run it too fast which is easy to do. Plastic melts very quickly with heat and will bake onto the tool. This clogs the flutes so that the next shavings cannot exit the hole and the drill snaps off. Most dremel type tools have way too much R.P.M. for even the smallest drills and will melt the plastic.

Until you get a slower drill motor (I.E. Tamiya "Handy Drill" kit), you can decrease the tendency of melting plastic onto your drill bits by using a light oil as a lubricant. I have used vegetable oil and olive oil with high speed drill motors with very good results. Makes for a small mess as the lube spatters about, but your drills will survive the job.

I find the Proxxon Microdrill tool works awesome with the 0.35 bits I'm using for for Zvezda ISD.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #2184 on: November 08, 2018, 08:58:26 am »
A few folks recommended "Sculpting a Galaxy" for some good Star Wars references, including Boba Fett's Slave One.
It doesn't disappoint ...

Plus, this a way to try out imgur links.

Hope to be back on the bench by around Thanksgiving.

Spencer
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:05:01 am by Spencer »

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2185 on: November 10, 2018, 03:14:44 am »
Finally got one of these without paying silly money for it.

Iain

Enterprise © Bloc