Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Me who is I  (Read 1218 times)

Offline ABguy

• Ensign
Me who is I
« on: February 25, 2013, 09:17:27 am »
Hi
My name is actually Tom.  I am an former student now turned bum.  I had gone to school for art originally but ended up with a degree in human services... long story.  Anyway I've caught the modeling bug, saw the videos on YouTube from Trek Works and was thoroughly impressed.  I still have the old Ertl models that I put together as a kid but even back then I wanted to create a lighted model.  Heck I have an aging Excelsior model in my basement... its not in the best shape and I don't even know if it can be had anymore.

The ultimate model for me to work on would be the Enterprise refit from the motion picture.  The first time I saw that movie I was bored out of my mind, but that ship made my jaw drop.  The pearl or iridescent paint work on that hull really surprised me and to this day is what I consider to be the biggest challenge for me modeling wise.  I'm definitely not going to start there since the last time I put together a model was when I was 8 years old... Now I am 33.  I suppose that means that I can do so much more with lighting and bigger models, the reverse would be true too though in that I can make massive blundering failures.

The idea behind jumping on this site was to prevent massive failures (we still allow the small ones).  I have no experience with working with led or any electrical systems at all.  I have absolutely no equipment at this point.  Not even a workbench although I have a whole basement to put these things in. 
If I were to put myself in a stage of building it would be : making a list of things to get before building.

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
Re: Me who is I
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:46:38 am »
Hello, glad you joined us here. There is a ton of info here.

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:51:45 am »
Welcome Tom,

glad you have got the bug again. The folks on the forums here will be glad to help you along with any questions you might have.
It's what we do. As you look around here, you'll find lot's of info about LED lighting etc. Enjoy the place and jump right in.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 02:23:53 pm »
Welcome to SFMA Tom!  Nice to have you aboard!!
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:54:58 am »
Hi Tom,

Welcome aboard....   I made a list too about 3 months ago.... my list is still not complete but I found if you take your time you'll find you either already have most of what you need, or you can get it fairly cheap....   unless you want it yesterday.

Looking forward to seeing your work.....     

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline ABguy

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 05:08:42 pm »
Thanks guys I threw in some things that I have drawn over the years to better illustrate my experience.  If it wasn't already implicated I tend to be a bit bent in my thinking.  I used to draw out elaborate Enterprise models on notebooks and things when I was supposed to be paying attention in school... I had a folder on my desktop somewhere with some really interesting conceptual enterprise drawings.  It would be interesting to actually build those out some point down the line.  I've been reading up ways to paint and use LED strips on models on the site.  I can't wait to put them into some kind of practice.  Also have a few theories on how to handle certain problems that other people seem to run into.  Either way should be a blast.

Enterprise © Bloc