Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello everybody. I'm the NEW new guy!  (Read 1863 times)

Offline 75lespaul

• Ensign
Hello everybody. I'm the NEW new guy!
« on: March 03, 2013, 05:01:11 pm »
Hello Modelers,

My name is Mario.  As you may be able to tell by my handle, I'm a guitar guy.  I use this moniker over at the Seymour Duncan forum.  I'm 49 years old and just don't have the fire for music anymore, but I'm getting really juiced up over doing some models with my 8 and 9 year old daughters.  I pulled the trigger on a few models lately that my daughters wanted to try, and I just got started on the first yesterday.  I was going to be content to just glue'em, paint'em, and then let the future bring what it may, but I happened upon Trekwork's vids on YT and I got hypnotized.  When I saw the hull to the Enterprise C light up, I was on fire.  When I saw him light up the clear molded Enterprise D I was cooked.  The models I have now are a 57 Chevy wagon diorama with the cardboard gas station and pumps, an old Viking ship (C'mon, how cool are Viking things!), a 1:570 Titanic which I've started drilling the windows out for light, and an original 95 Enterprise B.  I've read how the fit on the parts for the Enterprise B is pretty bad, but I don't care.  I love the ship.  I know absolutely NOTHING about how to light these things, but I'm going to learn.  I'd love to know what Trekworks meant when he was talking about knocking down the shine on the lights of the Enterprise C by "polyurethaning and frosting", so if you're out there brother...help! 

I'm completely jazzed and I can't wait to experience this with my kids.  Thanks guys.  Sorry for being a bit long-winded, but I write vampire novels too, lol.  FYI, no Twilight type stuff.   Looking forward to learning and posting some pics.

Oh, and ImWolf...Ruuuuuuush!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:08:25 pm by 75lespaul »

dlots1701a

Re: Hello everybody. I'm the NEW new guy!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:54:54 pm »
welcome SFMA you will find a lot good people here and any questions you have i am sure someone will have an answer sure jump on in.

Offline 75lespaul

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 06:24:33 pm »
Thanks man.  Looking forward to it.

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 07:53:59 pm »
Hi Mario,
Glad you have found SFMA. The model building hobby will reel you in so be prepared to get hooked :)

I'm working on the Enterprise Refit right now and soon I'll be getting to the windows and will explain the whole thing then.
Meanwhile have a look around here. The place is packed with tips and info from all of our members. We enjoy supporting others
works and are always helping each other out. Enjoy the forums and jump right in.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline 75lespaul

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 08:11:37 pm »
Hi Mario,
Glad you have found SFMA. The model building hobby will reel you in so be prepared to get hooked :)

I'm working on the Enterprise Refit right now and soon I'll be getting to the windows and will explain the whole thing then.
Meanwhile have a look around here. The place is packed with tips and info from all of our members. We enjoy supporting others
works and are always helping each other out. Enjoy the forums and jump right in.

That is fantastic!  I Can't wait to see that bad boy.  I don't think I'll be getting to any window finishing for quite awhile yet, so the timing for me is perfect.  Thanks for answering my post.  Since I only found this forum yesterday, I'm only familiar your work that I've seen posted on Youtube, and some of the bases that I've run across and I'm so jazzed up, it will be hard not to burn all my vacation days by the end of March, ha ha.

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:30:20 am »
Welcome to SFMA Mario!  Nice to have you aboard!  :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:31:47 am »
Hello and welcome. Glad you joined us here.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:57:02 am »
Hi Mario....   Welcome to the house of fun!

Badgrendels did a series on LED basics that every newcomer to lighting should check out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=6Msko3wgets&NR=1

The folks here are all very friendly and helpful too with any Q's you might have.....

Welcome aboard,
Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline krieg.17

• Admiral
  • FIRE!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:45 pm »
Welcome aboard. Need any tips this is the place.
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

Offline 75lespaul

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 01:20:59 pm »
I appreciate the well wishes and tips links.  We're going to start cutting our teeth slowly with the Viking ship and Titanic models.  We are going to try and light the Titanic with different colored LEDs, and my daughters are VERY excited about doing that.  They are also pretty pumped to get to the Enterprise, but I'm going to wait until we get a little experience under our belts for that one.  I've already removed the bigger parts from the sprues, and man, the fit IS quite bad.  Gonna need to learn the basics of putty I guess.  I'm decent with drywall, so I assume it is almost the same idea.  Titanic...nothing like drilling out nearly a thousand little windows, lol.  I'm at about a hundred at the moment.  Hoping to get another couple of hundred drilled by tonight between working on some things and doing some exercise. 

Offline Big Rob

• Modeling Newb
  • Admiral
  • So many models...so little time!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 01:22:15 pm »
Hey Mario, welcome man! You couldn't have joined a more supportive and friendly community for model building IMHO!  ;D

Hope to see some of your work soon!
You gonna light that thing?

Enterprise © Bloc