Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leif Ericson (1:500) AMT re-issue  (Read 20741 times)

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
Re: Leif Ericson (1:500) AMT re-issue
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 11:39:35 am »
Nice start. I have not seen one of these being built. I will have to check it out.

Les

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 03:31:56 pm »
Nice build so far; and it appears you are working around the size issues you mentioned; success and fun to you for the rest of the fittings!   :)

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 06:01:31 am »
Thanks for all the kind words folks.....   much appreciated.....    :b

I taped off all the required hull parts late last night and was going to do the black/white light block painting but the temperature here dropped quick to about 32F so I'm on hold.....  (I do not have a heated paint area yet and I'm not going to paint indoors any more.)

I'm curious about something too....   I see a lot of modelers start drilling out holes for windows, and then they decide to do the light block painting. Doesn't that give you a lot of paint in your window holes? How do you guys prefer to do it and why?

As a side note, when I looked back at my other LE kit (original edition but not sealed) a few nights ago to check out the engine move details, I had to do some test fitting on some pieces there too.....   and wow...   much better quality!!! Now that the re-issue is out there, it probably drops the price of the originals that survived a lot, and if you're thinking about building one of these there's a definite difference in quality. Just something to consider.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 12:10:22 am »
Trying to make best use of my time, I went a few directions since I got home from work last night.......

Did the light block painting on the interior of the hull halves, rear panel, conning tower, and the engine shrouds in flat black, and then gloss white.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:32:13 am by ImWolf »

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 12:14:56 am »
The Scout Ship needed 2 rounds of putty/sand.....    maybe a third?    LOL

I glued on the PE landing gear (way cool compared to the kit parts) and primed that baby...

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 12:15:53 am »
This bird needs a paint job......

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 12:32:33 am »
While all this was going on I started on the hanger deck floor.....    the PE part fit close, but not close enough. Two layers of masking tape on the edges and there was zero wiggle.

I flipped the good side down and used it as a drill jig to do the perimeter hole pattern.....      82 holes!

First I went thru with a (.020) .5mm drill....    after I sanded both sides you could hardly see any of the holes.
So I put the PE jig back in there and went thru again, but this time tried something I had considered in the past....  using a cutting agent. I had a pop bottle cap with olive oil in it and dipped the drill into that every so often.....  this gave me nice holes. (of course, the drill was only doing clean-up duty)

Then I decided I wanted the holes in the plastic bigger to let more light in (I'm planning on a light box below the deck), so I drilled them out again freehand with a (.040) 1mm drill using olive oil again. As expected the drill followed the pilot hole quite nicely, but I also had very little burr issues...... 

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 12:38:36 am »
Along the way it occurred to me that someone might chop this section of the floor off completely since the PE part makes a new floor, but I have other (possible) plans for this deck, so I'll just keep it there for now.... 

8)

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 08:24:27 pm »
This is coming along great ImWolf!  Sounds like you are enjoying the scratch building aspect.  Great idea with the shrink tube/wire "weather stripping"!
Also, good tip with the olive oil.  Ima try that for sure!
That little scout ship does look like a duck alright.  You've got him looking good.
I find that if the windows are small, no paint gets through them.  Maybe a pressure within the ship or an air current type deal :o  It's never been an issue with the smaller holes.
Your making some great progress on this ImWolf!  Your build log is detailed, educational and enjoyable to follow!!  Keep up the great job.   :)

Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 03:30:42 am »
Thanks Jeff...  some aspects of this build are fun alright, others are a bit frustrating. Today I went to work on the dreaded windows and they came out awful. The drilled holes are fine, but I have no choice but to putty closed a lot of the oval windows and try again....   :(

Please explain to me the technique you used to get such perfect windows on your little D7 kit.

Thank You,
Wolf

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 01:43:24 pm »
Perfect?  I don't know about perfect.  Probably more like acceptable or decent  ;)

Those windows were so small, I just used the drillbit itself as a file to oval out the holes.  It worked pretty well, but any tools do want to wander off course.  (Being a tool guy, you'll know what I mean).  On my 1/537 Refit, I used a dremel tool with a drillbit in it.  I had a tough time with this method, and ended up refilling some of the larger ovals with styrene and trying again.  I think by hand, although much more time consuming, is the best way to work the round hole into an oval. HTH  :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:19:29 pm by fumblethumbs »
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 08:07:13 am »
Perfect?  I don't know about perfect.  Probably more like acceptable or decent  ;)

Thanks for the reply Jeff......   methinks you're being a bit modest.....

There's a dude lurking about this forum that insists on posting pics of his model on any other thread of that build....   so, (being anti establishment as I am) I think I'll post a pic of your build on my thread.....   :b

When I first saw this example of your window handiwork I was in awe!!!   But now you tell me you use drill bits as files? (you're a strange kid aren't you?)    :b
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:08:53 am by ImWolf »

Offline mokulele

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 04:52:40 pm »
Wolf, this thread is awesome!  Don't you love PE?!  Once you learn how to use it, it can add so much to a model, especially at the scales we work in!  Great job!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 06:13:45 am »
@ mokulele

Hey brother....   thanks for the kind words...  And yes, PE is something brand new to me that I'm liking. I still need to learn all the tricks of the trade with PE and other things.

Sometimes I wonder if I post too much "minuchia" regarding builds on this forum, and if I should even post failures....  but then I realize that we all probably learn more from our mistakes than our triumphs. So if I can save someone else a silly mistake at the lowly cost of my pride, that's OK with me....

Recently I learned that a little lube on your tool helps a lot to keep the plastic melting onto it..... but at the same time I learned how to putty closed a bunch of bad windows due to poor technique....  LOL. (I also learned that light block painting your interior hull b4 you've got your windows done is not so smart!)

What are you building bud?

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 11:06:54 am »
That is a cool kit and I didn't know they had such a nice PE set for it either. It's always neat to see something a bit different than Star Trek around here and I'm glad your sharing the build. Don't be too hard on yourself about doing those tiny windows. It took me about 4-5 attempts to get them acceptable on my little D-7 which I have not yet finished :(

People do appreciate when you show the good and the bad. I messed up hours worth of work doing masking on my Refit build and when I showed what not to do, alot of guys were glad I did. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one. Good stuff.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Enterprise © Bloc