Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leif Ericson (1:500) AMT re-issue  (Read 21797 times)

Offline supercharger

• Lieutenant
Re: Leif Ericson (1:500) AMT re-issue
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2014, 02:11:02 pm »
Nice work! Have you finished this yet? Have not been on here in a long time.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2014, 05:32:25 am »
Yes, I too am interested in seeing this come together!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2014, 02:06:20 pm »
Thanks for asking folks.....  Perhaps you'll give me some of that inspiration I need to pick this up again?

Sorry to disappoint, but a few months back I just got burned out on this build.....   It suddenly seemed like more of a chore than anything fun to do, so I packed it up in the box and there it's been sitting. Bad timing since I really don't have much left to do on it. Just waiting for that spark now.

I have some other kits I'd rather be working on, but unlike some of you I can't bring myself to start a new project with this one unfinished. So not to worry, soon enough I'll have to get the Leif polished off so I can move ahead.  :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2017, 02:40:17 am »
Went through the stash tonight looking for some Bismarck repair parts, and found this box still near the top of the pile....

Ended up having to read my own thread to figure out where I was on this and then testing lighting and switches already assembled 3 years ago....    I think I'm in the mood to put this one together.

Not sure why I got into that whole sliding door mod, but prolly easier now to continue than un-engineer it?

It's been semi warm here lately, so hopefully I can get things cleaned up and primed before the new year.

If I hadn't blasted the speakers and knocked Mr. Bismarck off his perch the other night.....  well, who knows....  nothing happens by mistake?

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2018, 02:37:00 pm »
Minor update...

Looking closer at where I left this kit 2 years ago there were still some unresolved issues that entailed more hull work and such, so I held off on any painting just yet.

I was fiddling around with the placement of the PCB to target light the hanger deck, and when I got it where I needed it decided to attach it right there. Perhaps this was jumping the gun a bit so I'll have to protect it when I start painting. Along the way I also added some strip material to the inner hull to assist quickly placing the hanger where it needs to go.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2018, 02:45:42 pm »
Another issue was with the lighting switch which I never really cared for...   the hanger requires a 3V and a 6V supply and originally I was steering towards two separate switches on the upper and lower hull. Not very aesthetically pleasing, plus a small soldering nightmare, so I changed course towards a one switch method.

The tiny double pole single throw switches I ordered finally arrived so I reshaped the previous round hole for the push button switch into a rectangular shape for the new switch.... the fit is very good. I'm thinking that once it's all sanded even, puttied a bit at the seam and painted it'll be looking much nicer than a big push button knob sticking up. A painted stripe down the top might even totally disguise it as just more standard hull greeble?

That's it for now.....    next I wanna do something with that chrome sensor ball on the top of the conning tower.

Thanks for lookin in....

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2018, 11:59:02 am »
Enjoying what you have done so far. This is going to be really special when you're done with it. Regarding the chrome ball on top of the "conning tower",  I didn't like it either when I built my Leif. Here's what I came up with...

The kit "ball" was stripped of its chrome plating. Then the top was sliced off and replaced with a faceted rhinestone:

https://flic.kr/p/Xom25h

I punched some small round masks and stuck them onto the slanted facets. Then I inserted small pins around the perimeter of the plastic part before priming. A piece of fiber was inserted up thru the mounting shaft to light up the round ports in the rhinestone after the masks were removed:

https://flic.kr/p/XqoT3r

Here's how it looks installed:

https://flic.kr/p/YrKC2B

Anyway, don't mean to commandeer your thread; just wanted to share what I had done. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Steve

Him: "Chinese voices in his head? That's a little weird."
Her: "But... you hear voices don't you?"
Him: "Not Chinese!"

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2018, 01:25:11 pm »
Enjoying what you have done so far. This is going to be really special when you're done with it.

Thanks Steve....   very kind words coming from you...

I did vaguely recall the mod's you made at that sensor dome, but I had forgotten you also lit it up.

For now I've already stripped the chrome off and I'm brainstorming....  I'm leaning toward putting some sort of little dish antenna on it.

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2018, 02:15:18 pm »
For now I've already stripped the chrome off and I'm brainstorming....  I'm leaning toward putting some sort of little dish antenna on it.

Ooohhhh... A small dish would look great!
Steve

Him: "Chinese voices in his head? That's a little weird."
Her: "But... you hear voices don't you?"
Him: "Not Chinese!"

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2018, 07:58:14 am »
Looking good, ImWolf!

Love your solution for the button!

Steady as she goes.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2018, 11:31:49 pm »
Thanks for the input Steve..... much appreciated.

It's slow going here at the ole Spanaway Ship Yards.....   (doing some interior house painting) But I did get most of my sensor dome modification done this evening.

Started by cutting off a chunk of 1 1/4" plastic pipe to about the right size. Then I put some pencil lines on it and started sanding with different grit of emery sticks to get an approximate oval dish. When my finger nails were all gone I called it done.

Also round filed a notch on the back to try and match the original dome shape. Then I cut a groove around that dome and drilled a hole through the center for some .75mm FO, and bent a piece of paperclip around a drill shank to match the above.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2018, 11:36:44 pm »
Then I carefully drilled two more holes through the face of the dish to match all of the above and did a test fit....

Looks about the same as my minds eye steered me towards. Next I think I'll paint these to final colors and assemble them. Then I can cut and bend the two paperclip ends inward and add some sort of reflector to finish it off.

As it turned out, the hole for the .75mm FO is interfered with by that stabilizer fin that runs through the side of the conning tower, and the FO needs to bend a bit....   which happens to be exactly where I drilled a hole for an LED to light the tower three years ago...

Sometimes ignorance is bliss?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:39:45 pm by ImWolf »

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2018, 06:35:03 am »
So busy with other things that I can barely look at this let alone progress too much, but I do have a minor update on the now complete antenna modification....

I painted the separate parts and glued them together. Then I bent the paperclip ends inwards to meet and then straight again after trimming them a bit shorter. Then I put a small piece of 3/32 styrene tube in boiling water so I could make it oval shaped and allow it to slip onto the two paperclip ends....

Just did some touch up paint which is still a bit glossy in the photos. (I'll add the .75 FO down the dome center b4 assembly).

I've also been going back and doing some "corrections" on previous steps....   didn't bother repeating the photo taking on these minor but time consuming little imperfections.

From way back, I've been toying the the idea of adding panel lines to the hull....   Next update should either be that or a paint job. If I even mention any more modifications to this project I want all the ppl who really love me to beat me senseless!!!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2018, 07:02:49 am »
Well done on the antenna, Wolf.

After a while, all the mods tend to slow progress but, in the end, you will be glad to did them!

Hang tough and stay at it.

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2018, 07:37:31 am »
Well done on the antenna, Wolf.

After a while, all the mods tend to slow progress but, in the end, you will be glad to did them!

Hang tough and stay at it.

Thanks Steve.....  Much appreciated....  now go back to work on that C....   :b
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:07:15 pm by ImWolf »

Enterprise © Bloc