Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leif Ericson (1:500) AMT re-issue  (Read 15813 times)

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
Re: Leif Ericson (1:500) AMT re-issue
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 11:21:14 am »
Looking good Im wolf. Keep it coming.

Offline HDATX

• HDAmodelworx
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 08:21:25 pm »
I never relized how small that shuttle was!  Great job and I can't wait to see more of her.  Your build is really looking good and I think the subject is just a great kit!
"There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope..."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 06:07:25 am »
Thanks gentlemen....

The scout ship isn't really that small Jerry....   nose to wing tips probably fill out a 50 cent coin. I'm waiting on some supplies I ordered so I'll be painting/decaling that little "duck" soon.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline HDATX

• HDAmodelworx
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 08:40:09 pm »
Thanks gentlemen....

The scout ship isn't really that small Jerry....   nose to wing tips probably fill out a 50 cent coin. I'm waiting on some supplies I ordered so I'll be painting/decaling that little "duck" soon.

Oh, I see.  I really like this model.  The detail with the PE is going to really punch it up.  Can't wait to see more.
"There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope..."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2013, 02:48:55 pm »
Fridays are my catch up on sleep day, but I did fiddle with this a bit last night...

Had to go back for a second round of squadron putty on my botched windows. The initial putty had sunk into the holes and was below the surface of the hull just enough to notice. They actually look much nicer now that I have them filled in...   LOL.

I had given the scout ship a flat white hull coat earlier in the week and added some racing stripes last night....  there's a lot of tiny detail painting to go on this thing. The decal sheet includes some windows for the front end, but they are black....  not sure I like that too much.

All of the remaining PE related to the hanger were cut off and test fitted....  really nice work by the folks at ParaGrafix.... everything fits like a glove. I've been trying to cut the PE off the fret really close to avoid as much filing as possible, but the initial cut to remove them sometimes bends the part slightly....  perhaps I should be cutting them as far away as I can to start with and then snip off the connector tab?

The tooling I ordered to re-cut my windows, and the last of the electronic components all showed up at the post office yesterday, so I have plenty to experiment with. The weather is really nice here now though so I need to be outside most of this weekend catching up on 2.5 acres of yard work....  blah!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 04:16:28 pm »
I put my largest (1/8) end mill into the dremel to confirm what I already knew and cut some slots to allow lighting the PE side wall windows....   now that's how to cut a slot!   ;D

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 01:24:41 pm »
Seeing that hanger bay, I'll definitely be splurging for the etch set when I tackle this one!
When you milled out the slots, did you run the part across a bed, or did you free hand it?  Slots look deadly!!
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 02:36:43 pm »
I've had to admit to myself that I'm really not that good at free handing some of these small details, which is why I recently bought that Dremel work station....  I had to modify it slightly to accept my rotary tool which is actually a Black&Decker.

With the tool rotated to the horizontal position and lowered fully along the shaft, that still puts the cutter about 4" off the bench. So I just used two phone books as a platform and was able to slide the hanger on top of those by hand. This worked out very good as far as controlling the cut goes....  all the slots were milled in about a minute. (not including the slightly undersize pilot hole I had drilled at each slot end).

The pilot holes were not really needed to assist the end mill, because these cutters are designed to plunge and then mill sideways, but I could see that I would be looking at the inside wall as I was cutting the slots, so the drilled holes gave me a visual on where the slot ends.

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2013, 06:14:41 pm »
That's a clever technique wolf!  The results speak for themselves.  8)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2013, 11:02:23 pm »
Wow the cargo bay is fabulous! Man that is a nice PE set. You have done a great job putting it all in. I'm really liking the build.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 09:47:29 am »
Yes the PE set make a big difference. Looking good.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 03:11:34 pm »
@ Boyd and Dave...   Yes, this PE stuff is really sweet. First time user so I was hesitant about spending so much on it but now I'm glad I bought it.

The photo's above are just a test fit, but even after just laying those 12 pieces in there the fit was so nice it does appear to be "installed".

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 03:17:02 pm »
Taped around the towers to keep things oriented while I toothpick glued a tiny bead of CA in the corners...  I'm hoping the paint will cover any light leak issues there.

Want to try and simulate some of the detail painting that Trekriffic did with his build, so I mask a side wall, used a toothpick again to define every edge, and then used a new blade to remove the unwanted mask. I want to try and save some of the brass for the finished assembly. If I don't like how this turns out I can always paint over it.

Some sloppy cuts in there, but as a whole I'm ok with it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:21:06 pm by ImWolf »

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 03:18:34 pm »
Added a few minor details to the scout ship last night...    most of this work is done while looking through the Hubble telescope, so it's slow going.....

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 07:21:26 am »
I did absolutely nothing on this build tonight.....     but had a great time cruising the forum on what the rest of you are doing...... 

G'nite

Enterprise © Bloc